Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat sinking at LOTO ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/53901-boat-sinking-loto.html)

Steve_H 07-09-2003 12:53 PM

displacement limits would solve most of the problems at LOTO , however i dont see that happening because the money people own the big cruisers.

docks wouldnt be torn up , small or medium size boats wouldnt be getting swamped , and the average guy could actually use the lake instead of risking his life :(

FunHome 07-09-2003 02:04 PM

Originally posted by lotoparty
displacement limits would solve most of the problems at LOTO , however i dont see that happening because the money people own the big cruisers.

docks wouldnt be torn up , small or medium size boats wouldnt be getting swamped , and the average guy could actually use the lake instead of risking his life :(

Your exactly right!!

Troutly I agree!!

Gary Anderson 07-09-2003 02:16 PM

"displacement limits would solve most of the problems at LOTO "

Hey, quit pi$$ing on us cruiser guys. A 38' Cig or Scarab can easily throw a bigger wake than my 42' Chris Craft.
I think the real problem at LOTO are Sea Rays. They dont seem to build one that can actually get on plane. Or sell them to people that realize they're just plowing.
Just look at most of the 15 + ton boats. They're all operating at displacement speeds and throwing very little wake.
Gary

JaayTeee 07-09-2003 03:38 PM

I'm going to say, it's more of the
number of these cruisers that are running
on the lake now, more than anything.

We got a late start Saturday,
we were at the 13mm, and have a main
channel view, after 11 am, it looked like
a freeway at rush hour, and ALOT of them
were cruisers.

Even though I stuffed into a Sea Rays
wake, the ones I really fear are the
3 story high (flybridge) Carvers, that
always seem to be on plow mode :eek: :eek:

jt

later 07-09-2003 05:17 PM

a displacement limitation is exactly what the lake needs! 50-65 ft boats have no real business being on loto. ive had a dock floating on the main channel at the 6.5mm since 95 and i can tell you without a doubt its not a 40ft searay express tearing up the lake but put 500 and 580's out there and you got some damage. the water patrol had to have a talk with the carver owners that used to leave the marina at the 2mm and go down the lake in a V formation tearing up every thing in site. a boat owner is respondsible for their wake. every year you see more and more of everything down there, its only stands to reason if they have added 6-7000 new homes and condos in the last 5years you have 7-10,000 more boats on the lake. im not one for restrictions but it will be here soon. as much as i love my offshore style boat if everyone is in pontoons il still have a good time ill just have a faster pontoon then i have now! ( 93 bayliner with a 175merc ).

later

IDRPSTF 07-09-2003 05:18 PM

Is it me, or did the write up say Nothing about anyone trying to help this poor woman? Was she knocked out? Was the door locked? or are we lall just talking about how now there will be more No Wake Zones?

Von Bongo 07-09-2003 05:42 PM

My understanding is that the boat went down very very fast, like a matter of seconds, and in 70 feet if water, I doubt there is much that could have been done.

IDRPSTF 07-09-2003 05:53 PM

I just re-read that part. Okay, in that case I'll shut my pie hole.

Steve_H 07-09-2003 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Gary Anderson
"displacement limits would solve most of the problems at LOTO "

Hey, quit pi$$ing on us cruiser guys. A 38' Cig or Scarab can easily throw a bigger wake than my 42' Chris Craft.
I think the real problem at LOTO are Sea Rays. They dont seem to build one that can actually get on plane. Or sell them to people that realize they're just plowing.
Just look at most of the 15 + ton boats. They're all operating at displacement speeds and throwing very little wake.
Gary

then your one of a VERY few that know how to drive them without creating a tidal wave behind you.

i think its a "if you cant beat them join them" thing at loto. i know im tired of getting beat up. my next boat might be a cruiser if conditions dont improve. :( naaaaaaaaaa ;)

later 07-09-2003 09:18 PM

Originally posted by lotoparty
then your one of a VERY few that know how to drive them without creating a tidal wave behind you.

i think its a "if you cant beat them join them" thing at loto. i know im tired of getting beat up. my next boat might be a cruiser if conditions dont improve. :( naaaaaaaaaa ;)

dont waste your money we will be pontoon pound in 5 years