38 Lightning Flips on Winni

Notices

38 Lightning Flips on Winni

Old 07-08-2003, 01:06 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad everyone made it.

I'm surprised that there aren't a bunch of people in here bashing the hell out of Fountains already. If it were a Cig the thread would be 4 pages long already.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to sound ignorant but I have often wondered is it that easy to flip over a v hull. Could someone give me some honest experiences so I can be a little more certain about running my boat. I've had a few times when my bow aired out pretty high but I just assumed it wouldn't come over. What causes a roll in a Vee is it a combo of a bad wave, over trim, too much throttle, wind?? are only certain Vee hull balanced capable of flipping over (given that your not in 10 foot sees.)Not to sound stupid but I've always sort of wondered. Please educate me on this matter. Maybe I am missunderstanding what happened also I'm thinking of flipping over backwards not barrel rolling. Thanks

Last edited by JUST ONCE; 07-08-2003 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

I am glad to hear everybody is ok.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:21 PM
O-Limit37

Sounds like the guy was fooling around and paid dearly. People have reported that the guy was attempting "power turns" and "slides" like a flat bottom Ski Nautique boat with his twin step hull.
Here's a link to the thread on winni.com with more pictures:
http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/in...cgi?read=57562

Old 07-08-2003, 01:47 PM
Registered

I would love to know if this guy had any clue as to what he was doing. S**t like this doesnt just happen without acting recklessly.

Well..as stated above, Stepped hulls are much easier to spin out and barrel roll, even at slow speeds. But I doubt, by the looks of the boat this guy was running slow. I dont like to speculate or even accuse someone of using poor judgement, but it certainly appears that this person was in need of HP boat education. Especially stepped hulls.

anyway, Im glad no one was seriously injured. Thats the most important thing. Hell of a wake up call though.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:48 PM
Registered

ON THE Velocity WEBSITE IT IS SAID THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN IN ONE OF THERE BOATS.. LOL
Old 07-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Registered

Originally posted by JUST ONCE
Not to sound ignorant but I have often wondered is it that easy to flip over a v hull. Could someone give me some honest experiences so I can be a little more certain about running my boat. I've had a few times when my bow aired out pretty high but I just assumed it wouldn't come over. What causes a roll in a Vee is it a combo of a bad wave, over trim, too much throttle?? are only certain Vee hull balanced capable of flipping over (given that your not in 10 foot sees.)Not to sound stupid but I've always sort of wondered. Please educate me on this matter. Thanks
Just Once,

There are many ways to flip a vee-bottom as there is many ways to flip a cat especially a vee bottom with steps . When a vee has steps it turns much differently than a conventional vee bottom and cat. For instance, if you trim the drives in and turn hard, a stepped vee will inherently have a tendancy to slide and spin as it transfers the balance point far foreward and consequently raises the stern and spins out. This is simply one scenario and many others may arise. I hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:07 PM
Registered

Originally posted by JUST ONCE
Not to sound ignorant but I have often wondered is it that easy to flip over a v hull. Could someone give me some honest experiences so I can be a little more certain about running my boat. I've had a few times when my bow aired out pretty high but I just assumed it wouldn't come over. What causes a roll in a Vee is it a combo of a bad wave, over trim, too much throttle, wind?? are only certain Vee hull balanced capable of flipping over (given that your not in 10 foot sees.)Not to sound stupid but I've always sort of wondered. Please educate me on this matter. Maybe I am missunderstanding what happened also I'm thinking of flipping over backwards not barrel rolling. Thanks
Hey I'm with you. Just have about 3 months experience in my boat and do not want to have something similar happen. I've been careful since getting it, but feeling a little braver now. Just don't want to be caught off guard by something that I should have known better.

Last edited by st31; 07-08-2003 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Registered

Well, most educated high performance boaters would do just that. Get the feel of the boat. Know what it can/cant do. You certainly dont want to go from a conventional V to a stepped V and make high speed turns the same way. Some people just dont realize that and then all hell breaks loose. I think dealers should be very specific when they sell these boat to people. Stepped hulls are much faster than Conventional Vs but they can also be more dangerous if not operated with care and knowledge.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:13 PM
Registered

Shane Thank you, I am O.k. with the turning and drive trim on steps and non steps. I was kinda more refering to flipping it backwards like a blow over in a cat. Any input there?

Quick Reply: 38 Lightning Flips on Winni

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.