Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone delt with/know Fantastic Finish Marine in Medina, Ohio? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/54022-anyone-delt-know-fantastic-finish-marine-medina-ohio.html)

WHITE-DIAMONDS 07-09-2003 11:56 AM

Anyone delt with/know Fantastic Finish Marine in Medina, Ohio?

Just got off the phone with a guy named Eric from Fantastic Finish Marine located in Medina, Ohio, who seems to have a very, very good grasp on rebuilding MercTrans II transmissions. I am in the process of finding someone the "truly" knows what they are doing, you would be surpised that even if they are a Merc mechanic and have been around for some time, they still do know really know the ends and outs of these transmissions. I am trying to find someone that will not only do the rebuild but also do the install. The reason being, is if something happens to the tranny the rebuilder blames the installer then the installer blames the rebuilder and all in all I am the one that looses.

So........if anyone knows or has delt with this company please let me know.

Thanks,

WHITE-DIAMONDS

FWK 07-09-2003 01:00 PM

WD I thought you were going to call me? By the way the trannies are not that complicated. I know that Bam or Huber will stand behind their transmissions and they do a great job. I did not use them but the merc mechanic I used I traded installing his home theater for labor for labor. he had it finished in a couple of hours. I did have to by a couple of bearings, a new set of plates and a seal kit. I did use Hubers clutch plates. If I remember they were only 40 dollars. Forrest
By the way I have 450 hp going through this trans and I have about 35 hours sith no problems. (Now it will blow up)

WHITE-DIAMONDS 07-09-2003 01:45 PM

Sorry Forrest, I am still going to call, I have had company in town, staying at my house since from the holiday. It has been a little crazy at night. I will be calling you soon though......

Maybe I can make a trade with this guy too, I wonder if he likes diamonds???

W.D.

FWK 07-09-2003 02:59 PM

I don't know about him but I know my wife does! I will be out this evening. I have to go by his house since I cannot remember his last name and I cannot find his phone #. Is the pump worn and not providing enough pressure to not burn the plates up? Or do you have a internal seal that is leaking and not providing enough pump pressure? And is it one tranny or both of them having the same failure?

JUSTONCE 07-09-2003 03:11 PM

I haven't dealt with them but they are right down the road from where I work. If I'm thinking of the same place they do alot of custom auto paint work and very well. I didn't even know they were marine related. Is this place an rt.42?

WHITE-DIAMONDS 07-09-2003 03:12 PM

The pumps were suppose to have been tested by these jokers her in town and I was told they were working correctly, but I do believe after speaking with a number of "professionals" that could be the initial problem. I am sorry, I do not know as much as you about these trannies I can see......all I know is that the starboard runs very, very hot yet still works, the port side only goes in reverse and broke because of overheating I assume, since their was a cloud of smoke coming out of the hatch when I opened it. Don't go to any great lengths to get the guys number...when ever you get it is fine and you can just PM me or email me.

The reason I like FFM is because they do the entire job start to finish, that way I do not have one company that rebuilds the trannies and then another company that does the install. So when something goes wrong they don't simply blame each other and it ends up being my problem..........you know.......

Thanks for all of your help!!!

WHITE-DIAMONDS 07-09-2003 03:15 PM

JUST ONCE

Here is their website http://www.fantasticfinishmarine.com/

ah...........I do not believe they do any paint work......atleast I did not ever get that impression nor does their website mention anything about that.................:confused:

FWK 07-09-2003 03:25 PM

The only problem I forsee is the distance even if they do the job. You only have lines going in and out. for hydraulics and a water line that comes off of your sea water pump and runs through a copper tube that cools the tranny fluid and then it either dumps into your exhaust or out a fitting on the transom. It only takes a nick on one of the shaft seals to lose pump pressure and you need a tool to put them on or you will have the problems you are describing. Forrest

JUSTONCE 07-09-2003 03:27 PM

same address, I gotta check that out some time.???

WHITE-DIAMONDS 07-09-2003 03:36 PM

Forrest, so would this be the reason the "seal kit" is so important???? I do not believe a "seal kit" was ever used by the jokers here in town, because I know they are very, very hard to come by and I know I was never charged for one. I was not aware of this kit until recently since I have been trying to educate myself on the correct way to rebuild these trannies............boy Forrest, from the sound of it, it sounds like you could have rebuilt your MercTrans yourself.........:D