Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What % off MSRP did you get?... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/54039-what-%25-off-msrp-did-you-get.html)

C_Spray 07-10-2003 09:05 PM

Ordered my Formula built to spec and paid 21.22% off of MSRP. I'm happy with that.

Reckless32 07-10-2003 10:50 PM

I would think anything under 20% would be wishy-washy of the buyer...

BryanTuvell 07-11-2003 06:00 AM

Rick, my understanding on inventory and ordering is normally a in stock boat costs the dealer money after his "free" floor plan window, normally 6 to 9 months.

Our sticker was 104K, sale price for 6 months was 76K, at 9 months I bought it for 62K, he still made a profit, nothing is free.
Now he does not stock ZX's, only orders them.

Bryan

(Rick has the fever!) Your 288 will sell fast, nice boat!

sean stinson 07-11-2003 06:11 AM

Troutly is right they used to ding the **** out of you for selling out of territory and there are still some manufacturer's that enforce this rule. How do you get caught you ask..well you take to your local dealer for service work the service writer then punches up the serial numbers and "Hey this boat is from so & so 10 states over. Why dont you just haul it over to him to have your service work done since he gave you such a great deal......ouch.....thus the idea of the CSI or OSI penalty came to be put in place.

sean stinson 07-11-2003 06:17 AM

Bryan is also up on things after your free flooring (it's really not free the factory just picks up the tab for a period of time) runs out that flooring becomes a monthly expense just like your utilities bill.
And god forbid a boat have a BIRTHDAY on your lot....if that does happen you'll more than likely pay out just to sell it to someone not very good for a dealers bottom line.

Macklin 07-11-2003 06:30 AM

Originally posted by Reckless288
Hmmmm. All good insight. I'm surprised there's only 27 votes on here? There's got to be more than just 27 folks who bought new...
Reck, that's cause your discount percentages don't go high enough. :D :D :D

Vyper340 07-11-2003 07:51 AM

More than 30%... you poll should have indicated a 30%+ range....

Reckless32 07-11-2003 08:06 AM

Thanks Sean good gouge. We had a nice 33 Scarab that sat in the window well past it's b-day and it recently sold. Rumor has it the deal was sweet.

Mack/Vype I keep forgetting you guys got 100% off when you bought from giveaway Pete's, or Duck's, or whatever up in PA. For principle sake, let's just assume 25-30 includes 30+ and I'll see if I can change the poll to read 25+ for the PQ types....;)

Vyper340 07-11-2003 08:35 AM

now, now! no need for the green monster of envy to show it's ugly head... LOL :)

TGC-32 07-11-2003 10:31 AM

Obviously, each manufacturer is entitled to discount to its dealer's any percentage they choose off of list, so the retail customer's percentage off of list is really irrelevant. The bottom line is the dollars actually paid, not the percentage off.

As a dealer, we also refuse to play the game of matching the lowest price. We try to factor into our overhead the cost of after care, and as such we maintain a very high CSI rating. If we didn't do this then we couldn't provide the level of service that we like to. Where the customer purchases his boat should be just as important a decision as what boat he purchases. We simply tell the customer "you can't buy the boat from US for THEIR price. If you want THEIR price, then you have to also accept THEIR poor delivery and lousy service." We have carved out our reputation as providing FAIR (but not the lowest) prices with exceptional service.

While you get what you pay for with the boat, the same is also true of the delivery and the after-care service. The cheapest price is likely to be the worst delivery and service.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Tom Caruso
Total Marine