If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    phila pa
    maybe spark plug wire arcing against block or bracket

Offshore Cowboy Platinum Member Joe's Avatar
    My Boats:
    '03 Lip-ship Gladiator - Purchased (Not from Lip-Ship) w/ worn out Merc's posted on OSO Classifieds and told to me had "Fresh Motors." Wish I would have gotten to Philly's 1 Day Sooner and bought the Gladiator he sold to Tommy!!!
    Houston, TX
    Hey Steve...
    I had the same problem a couple yrs. ago while on a Poker Run in Florida. It was a fuel pump just starting to go bad. It was on again and off again and drove me nuts -- EVERYONE told me how bad it sounded. We diagnosed it and I had a new pump on in an hour. They're pretty easy to replace. Not sure if this is it, but if everything else fails, here's something else to try. Hope it helps!

Platinum Member Platinum Member Quiet Storm's Avatar
    Lake Michigan

Your original post was from a few months ago. Did anything else happen to your motor?

Platinum Member Platinum Member FormulaFan's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2006 Formula 400SS
    Houston-Austin, TX
    No, it has not had the same problem since. It was an extremely hot day, and I was running it hard in a Poker Run. The dealer said the heat probably caused a vapor lock in the fuel line. The motors have been running perfect, I have 125 hours on them. They are big-time gas guzzlers though! I would get 525's if I had to do it over! Thanks...

Platinum Member Platinum Member Quiet Storm's Avatar
    Lake Michigan
    From what I understand the 525's work better in the warm climates. We don't have that problem often here.

As a precaution you probably should change your head gaskets. I just lost one on my starboard side. The owner of the boat before me lost a fuel pump and I think that may have damaged them.

Yes they do like gas and if they don't get enough, they get mad and break something.

Platinum Member Platinum Member Dano's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette Gladiator
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    There was a fuel rail recall on those motors...if they haven't been changed out that could be a contributing factor. Resonance in the fuel lines themselves could cause disruption of flow to the injectors.

I run the 575's and changed out gear ratio's to run a more efficient prop and fuel economy increased dramatically (now I stop at every OTHER gas station...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12