Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need 130+ for my 36' Spectre (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/54427-need-130-my-36-spectre.html)

bobby daniels 07-15-2003 05:24 PM

SPECTREMAN ,,, rpm+H.P. ,,, winston cup small blocks 9500rpm's 850 plus h.p. no blowers or injection ,how do they do that ?? RPM!!!
You need solid rollers and good springs in your motors and alittle more boost remap the box and hang on the motor will do it
and the drives should go 6500 with a cat if your easy of the line ,no problem
I've had a cat for 10 nyears with a warmed up bravo not even and XR and I turn it 7200 alot with good oil to help stop oil cavation in the drive (redline oil)

Spectre Man 07-16-2003 07:33 AM

I think I will talk to Jay and see how the newly rigged Arneson works out. I heard that the Arneson's manners around the dock were not good because the turning radius is very wide. This may not be apllicable in this case.

If I have to go to speadmaster props, I am assuming I can go to a 16 1/2 X 34 or something like that?

Does anybody know how to change the brain chip in a Keith Eickert engine to get me from 5,600rpms to 6,000 rpms?

racesdad 07-16-2003 07:38 AM

I would suggest 1:36 gears with that hp w/36's should be close try 5 blade 16 x 36 large dia to carry the boat

Spectre Man 07-16-2003 07:42 AM

Originally posted by bobby daniels
SPECTREMAN ,,, rpm+H.P. ,,, winston cup small blocks 9500rpm's 850 plus h.p. no blowers or injection ,how do they do that ?? RPM!!!
You need solid rollers and good springs in your motors and alittle more boost remap the box and hang on the motor will do it
and the drives should go 6500 with a cat if your easy of the line ,no problem
I've had a cat for 10 nyears with a warmed up bravo not even and XR and I turn it 7200 alot with good oil to help stop oil cavation in the drive (redline oil)

Bobby,

This sounds like a major maintenance nightmare to me. If you lived next door to keep it running there would be no problem. I am trying the less expensive route and up my KEPP engines a little bit.

BTW - I am running Mobile-One 15W40 oil in the engine and Mercury Racing oil in the gearcases. I used to use Alisyn 80wt. Oil in the gearcases on my outboards, but I haven't tried it yet for my Bravos. Any suggestions?

BLee 07-16-2003 07:48 AM

Originally posted by Spectre Man
I heard that the Arneson's manners around the dock were not good because the turning radius is very wide. This may not be apllicable in this case.

Does anybody know how to change the brain chip in a Keith Eickert engine to get me from 5,600rpms to 6,000 rpms?

You've got to be kidding me. Your talking about stepping up to a surface drive or similar and your concern is handling around the docks?? :rolleyes: If that is what your worried about maybe you should stick with what you have.

Brain Chip: I know who can tell you how to change the chip. The one who put it there, Keith Eickert.

Byron 07-16-2003 06:35 PM

I'm building my 36' Spectre with the Arneson asd-6, the drives will be installed in two weeks. I had a 30' Spectre running close to 130mph on new XR's but I new is was going to be short lived. All it takes to out run the next guy is $$$$.

Spectre Man 07-16-2003 07:46 PM

Originally posted by cigracer28/38
You've got to be kidding me. Your talking about stepping up to a surface drive or similar and your concern is handling around the docks?? :rolleyes: If that is what your worried about maybe you should stick with what you have.

Brain Chip: I know who can tell you how to change the chip. The one who put it there, Keith Eickert.

Don't get me wrong here.. I boat on a confined lake and docking can be a real issue sometimes. My friend had a big Warlock cat with Arnesons and he said it was horrible in close quarters. I am just asking questions to get enough knowledge to make a good decision.

As far as the brain goes, I asked Keith and he said, "I've heard of people getting 825 out of a 675 by making some mods including the ECU modes." Of course, he won't tell me what ECU mods. I guess, you are right... if I want to change the brain I have pay the money and get Keith to do it.

Byron 07-16-2003 08:47 PM

DID YOU KNOW! I've heard the XR drive takes 43 hp to turn. The asd-6 takes 28 hp and includes the tranny. All the other modified drives take even more than the XR. I truly believe the # 6 is the most efficient drive on the market. This in itself equals more speed.
Good Luck

Spectre Man 07-16-2003 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Byron
DID YOU KNOW! I've heard the XR drive takes 43 hp to turn. The asd-6 takes 28 hp and includes the tranny. All the other modified drives take even more than the XR. I truly believe the # 6 is the most efficient drive on the market. This in itself equals more speed.
Good Luck

I assume when you say, "#6 drive" you are referring to Arneson and not the Mercury?

Byron 07-16-2003 09:02 PM

Yes Arneson Asd #6 not merc #6 (I'm not sure on the hp loss on the Merc 6)

And thanks