sportmaster vs. imco lower/handling >

sportmaster vs. imco lower/handling

Notices

sportmaster vs. imco lower/handling

Old 07-17-2003, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts
Default sportmaster vs. imco lower/handling

Posting this question for a buddy of mine who's not too computer savvy. Here's the scenario...32' Velocity, 525SC's w/chillers and bumped boost/CMI's. The boat is strong as you can imagine... but pretty loose @ 90+ mph. Now don't get me wrong...we can drive these boats straight @ speed (ain't skeered) and flog it with regularity. These boats really love the HP to a point as the throttle response makes them more drivable (have had two myself) Here's the question: which lower case do you think (or know) would perhaps "settle down" the boat @ speed? This is not a speed issue (it's fast enough for most mortals ) nor is it necessarily a strength issue, as the boat is pretty light and good luck has been had since going to 1:36 (though the throttle response up top w/ 1:5's in cool weather had to be felt to be believed ) Avioding a blowout is a concern, though it hasn't happened (thank God) and there are no signs of propeller burn, though none of the ppg or Dupont paint will stay on the lower 1/2's three weeks, which may be an indication of impending blowout? So....hydrodynamically/high speed handling...what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails sportmaster vs. imco lower/handling-peter-running.jpg  
Old 07-17-2003, 07:02 AM
Registered

I posted this here for more immediate exposure as he is ready to do something, and the dollars/case availability are not an issue. Thanks...painted it himself like Koster's old sit down 41' modified class boat...turned out very nice. (crappy analog photos)
Attached Thumbnails sportmaster vs. imco lower/handling-ragged-edge.jpg  
Old 07-17-2003, 03:55 PM
Registered

With the WEALTH of knowledge here...somebody's got to have some input?
Old 07-17-2003, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well,

you truly never stated the problem other then who ever is painting the lower unit sucks. but thats maybe why mercury does not paint the lowers. at that speed the paint will come off anyway. there have been many test as far as side by side comparision and so far they are equal in speed but the mercurey has a longer skeg wich will make any boat handle better, and does help prevent blowout. there units are not painted thow.

Treadwell
Old 07-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Registered

Thanks Treadwell, basically it's about safety...avoiding blowout over and above a stock bravo case, and getting the "feeling" of more rudder in the water. You know, I'm sure just how loose this hull is at that speed You can read a newspaper under the aft section of pad at speed...the boats got the right "attitude" just very high overall..running pretty much on a "little" pad, tail of the tabs (3 point kind of thing) and those lower 1/2's. Wondering which case will give us a little more ass end stability...and a little more confidence in making small steering corrections @ speed. Your vote would be with the Merc case?
Old 07-17-2003, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my vote would always be with the mercury stuff.... much more money and R&D

I also have the sportmaster cases on my xr drives i like them very much the reason i have them is for a warranty. read the fine print on the imco stuff... they only warranty what they make ... that is the case... they buy merc (i think) shafts and gears to put in them.. so nobody "takes care" of a broken drive really.... where as if you have a sportmaster xr or such ... anyone who deals in mercury parts will work on or warranty that drive.

Don