Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Smoothest riding, 70+ MPH boat in the 28 to 31 foot range (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/54581-smoothest-riding-70-mph-boat-28-31-foot-range.html)

Clay Washington 07-16-2003 03:46 PM

Thanks, Bar...

I have a good friend who is an AWESOME mechanic. He is Bob Lloyd of Full Throttle Marine. As long as I buy a boat with "stock" power, I should not have many maintenance concerns. If I want to add horsepower, he is more than able to help me. :D

Right now, I have my current boat "For Sale". I have been getting more inquiries than I thought I would. In fact, it may sell before Labor Day. The boating season in Central Texas is a long one. In fact, some people claim that is is twelve months! :p So, I may be looking to buy another boat in August.

My plan is to sell my current boat, and then sell my truck (Chevy Z71). I will then look for a longer (smoother riding) boat, and slip it at Lake Travis (near Austin, Texas).

We only do lake boating. This includes Poker Runs (six a year), cruising the lake, and raft-ups in coves (like Devil's Cove). I really don't need alot of "gee whiz" stuff on the boat. A warranty is pretty much useless to me also. So, considering how fast a new boat depreciates, I will be looking for an older boat by an "well known" manufacturer (see above list).

As long as I can get a smooth riding boat that will go 70+ MPH and I can write it off as a "house", it will be enough boat for me. We currently live in an apartment, and my wife is wanting to get into a house. So, I can't have too much money tied up in a boat.

Sorry that was so long-winded, but I want to go boating and make my wife happy! :cool:

BARCOASTAL 07-16-2003 03:49 PM

my bad, i didn't really look at the price on that particular boat, but i think you understand the point i was making, if you don't read my quote too literally! Next time i will get my facts right!

BARCOASTAL 07-16-2003 03:52 PM

we'll, we all want to see pic's when you find the new boat! and yes, keep the wife happy, that would be a wise choice!!!

cigarette1 07-16-2003 03:52 PM

Originally posted by Clay Washington
A warranty is pretty much useless to me also.
Warranty Useless ??? A warranty can keep your $60k boat from becoming a $70k boat in one weekend !!!

;)

Partycove 07-16-2003 04:37 PM

BARCOASTAL - just given you crap!

If your lake is not that rough, you might want to look at other Brands other then Cigarette. No Cig Bullet with stock power will run 70.

cigarette1 07-16-2003 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Partycove
BARCOASTAL - just given you crap!

If your lake is not that rough, you might want to look at other Brands other then Cigarette. No Cig Bullet with stock power will run 70.

Wrong :cool:

Von Bongo 07-16-2003 05:35 PM

I have the boat for you, porta potty, shorepower, sink and cooler, reliable single engine merc power and runs better than 70.

Pantera

http://server1.offshoreonly.com/cgi-...uery=retrieval

Cig Bullet is a wave crusher too, larger boat and has twins.
Sonic's traditional deep V and would have more cabin.
Sunsation would be right in there, lighter boat but runs in the 70's with a 500.

Lots of choices, Active thunder would warant a look too. I do not think you would be disapointed with any of them.

Clay Washington 07-16-2003 05:40 PM

Very nice boat, Von Bongo. But, you are out of my price range. :(

Clay Washington 07-16-2003 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Fever Mike
Do you want twins or a single?
Excellent question, Mike. I have always felt that a boat under 30 feet would run well with a single engine. However, over 30 feet I have always felt that you needed twins.

While I would prefer the cheaper maintenance of a single engine (half the cost), I believe that my next boat will be at least 30 feet, and I will need twins to achieve the speed that I want.

cig1988 07-16-2003 08:22 PM

Bullet by all means;