Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Broke a lifter in a hp500efi. >

Broke a lifter in a hp500efi.

Notices

Broke a lifter in a hp500efi.

Old 04-08-2003, 08:04 PM
mmo jo

Default Broke a lifter in a hp500efi.

Anyone else have this happen? I run nothing but mobil 1 15/50 syn. 238hrs. Hard hrs. I change the oil every 15-20 hrs.

Old 04-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a HP500, but here's a pic of my buds BBC this past summer.
Attached Thumbnails Broke a lifter in a hp500efi.-70220.jpg  
Old 04-08-2003, 08:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, did a claim on one last year. Roller came apart and we found small metal contamination in most of the bearings. If you have roller lifters it may have failed due to the synthetic oil. Some roller lifters will actually slip on the synthetic instead of rolling-this causes premature wear and failure due to the steep cam ramps. You need to determine whether the roller wore through or one of the lifter parts "broke". If the roller is worn-it is due to the synthetic. Post pics of the part if you can.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:39 PM
bobby daniels

Yep lifters are a big problem ,,if you run a hyd.roller hard about 200 hrs is abot it ,,,at least you didn't have and oil related problem

Man I've never seen this tale of lifters slidind ,it is as I said on the last thread at best and old wives tale !!!! If it ever did this it was due to weak springs or something not oil ! I hate going into this again but oh well ,,,,G.M. uses them in vettes and northstars ect with mobile one from the factory as does Mercedes they would not do this if there was a problem
,,cup cars and can-am ect use it on and on ,,,

Last edited by bobby daniels; 04-08-2003 at 08:45 PM.

Old 04-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hmmm...think a Vette or a Northstar(POS by the way) has the same valvespring pressure as an HP500??? What happens to tires on ice??? I'd still like to see the damaged part.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Oh, and Mercedes is an overhead cam motor-Apples and oranges.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:28 PM
bobby daniels

Ted ,the m/b is an overhead cam correct ,the followers though could slide on this oil ,NOT ,,The vette and racie vettes have the same or more chance to as you say slide ,,the factory car is about
the same and the race is more in some cases ,,the picture he posted of his buddies motor is like the 40 or 50 motors I've seen
and thats not oil related . If you don't want to use syn. fine its still the best in all dept.except cost..

please show me one thats failed with proper pressures and has
been sliding ,your tire example is when the tire is in gear with load trying to move the car ,,,the lifter is rolling not pushing or pulling !!
Ted all the race guys would not use it if it was even a slim chance due to the money involved ,I'd like to see part aswell and cam to be sure what happenedand scope the faces to compare and tell what happened until then I stick by my experances !!
have a good one ,this is talked out for me

Last edited by bobby daniels; 04-08-2003 at 09:38 PM.

Old 04-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Ric232

Even if the lifters are sliding, I doubt they would wear because the amount of friction between the cam and lifter would have to be less than the friction in the bearings of the lifter.

Old 04-08-2003, 09:39 PM
bobby daniels

Amen Ric ,, Dead on Target

Old 04-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Ric232

Okay, I'm sorry. I can't figure out what "POS" means.

Quick Reply: Broke a lifter in a hp500efi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.