Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Steve1 or Sharkey or any boat builders (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/54788-steve1-sharkey-any-boat-builders.html)

Steve 1 07-18-2003 09:05 PM

How is everything going Tim ??

Audiofn 07-18-2003 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sharkey thanks for the reply. I used Vinnalester Resin. What do you guys suggest to do about the sticky surface you get with the Vinnalester resin? It clogs up the paper unless I waite a couple days.

Audiofn 07-18-2003 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This part was done in 9oz glass. It was going to be to hard to work the DB in all those angles and it is more for looks then strength.

Audiofn 07-18-2003 09:32 PM

hmmm those are not airbubbles in that second picture. There is a bunch of Cavasile that moved on me from the corner to under the glass and when I was squeegeeing it the stuff moved out to the middle of the wood.

Steve 1 07-18-2003 10:10 PM

Audio:
The Tacky surface is just the resin doing what it should! That to receive a second layer of glass (secondary bond) or dura tec Primer (air inhibited and plus the loss of styrene it’s reactive component on the surface) you need to use a fairing compound to get off the glass...

I mix my own usually Gel coat (color of the boat) mixed with a 10% Wax solution at 3% by weight then an equal part of 3-M glass bubbles then Sweeten to taste with Cab o sill or areosill sand at “B” stage then fill pin holes prime and paint.. or use Just Cab o sill with inhibited gel coat but sanding like wow… catch it and sand before it starts achieving Barcol = “B”

Of course you could inhibit the resin with wax and top coat it if that is what you want ! but you still need to chemically bond things to it like the Dura tec and then with the dry surface...check that By.........

The Acetone sensitivity test ...Fail that and you break out the sand Paper for the trusty tried and prov-en abraded bond line..

SHARKEY-IMAGES 07-19-2003 07:09 AM

Yeah, what Steve said....;) :D :D :D
Steve, everything has been going great since the rain has stopped.
Setting out today to take some Special Olympic kids for boat rides. I am sure to make their day special even though my boat may not be super flashy. The sound of those growling EFI's should be thrill enough...:D :D :D

Audiofn 07-19-2003 07:45 AM

Ummmmmmm Steve I left my Steve1 decoder ring at home :D What should I do?

I read your first paragraph as that the tackyness is for the second layer of glass? What do you recommend that I use for a fairing compound or is your mixture going to work for a hack like me? Should I use something that is a polyester based so that I do not have the tacky problem? I have a bunch of Durraprime hanging around so that I can not have to use the waxing agent?

What is the accetone sensativity test? Or is this all mute now that I have waited a day?

Again thanks for all your info and help.

Jon

Audiofn 07-19-2003 07:33 PM

TTT

Steve 1 07-19-2003 07:55 PM

Oh yeah Tim a Boat ride will be the highlight of their day for sure thats a real nice gesture and shows you are a Gentleman ..

Audio it's a simple small area wipe with Acetone if it gets tacky then you are still in the lamination window.

Best Regards Steve Koss

Audiofn 07-19-2003 09:52 PM

and if not I am sanding correct? Am I correct in assuming that my window of opportunaty is well past, it being 48 hours since they lay up?

Jon