If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Platinum Member Platinum Member Steve 1's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Slippery when wet!
    Beautiful Fort Lauderdale
    There are a lot of factors to cure out like direct sunlight on the part, as a rule of thumb always abrade the surface before Lamination.

There are several reasons I use very basic shop made Putties usually from the same material I used to build the part with initially and that being keeping the same chemical backbone lets say...

I also had a 5 QT Kitchen Aid Mixer that I used for small jobs larger projects a drill press works well… one thing MIX Well sometimes the Cab o Sill is lumpy go get a Flour sifter its important to have good uniform material..

In the old days say on plug work we used a glassed plywood plug then (Mat or boat cloth) then I would use a putty made from Glass bubbles or Q cells and some gel coat and Cab o sill once I achieved the surface I wanted we then used straight gel coat with some wax inhibitor…. It’s called many names BTW

Modifier “C” or surface wax and so on when I was Overseas we used to make it simple 100 Grams of melted paraffin in 900 grams of Styrene heated a little. Pour in the wax and mix quickly.

Used at from 1-3% in the top coat it seals the surface and allows a complete cure also lubing the sand paper a little.
    Slippery when wet. "POD" Free Tunnel through Common Sense Engineering

Charter Member #232 Charter Member Audiofn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
    Carlisle, MA USA
    ok so see if this sounds about correct. I am going today to take my Hutchins mud slinger with 38 grit paper on it and rouch up the top of the stuff we just put on there. I am then going to take another layer of DB tape on the corners and the joint btwn the old deck and the new fairing. I will mix some cavosillel with my resin to help with the bonding.

Once that is all done I will mix up some fairing compound with my color mixed along with Durratech in and fair it out to help with a cure of the vinylester below. I do not have any waxing agent but I think that they Durratech makes it so that you do not need any?

Thanks again for all your help.

Put your best foot forward!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123