Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   any one have any history or info (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/55321-any-one-have-any-history-info.html)

lefty1 07-24-2003 07:09 PM

any one have any history or info

this is a great site i was wondering if any one out there has a 240 switzer or info on them? i have a 1989 switzer and sometimes i feel like i own the only one..i have her running about where i want her too.top end on gps is 76mph then she stars chine walking im thinking about putting the sternjack back on but im a little scared to witthout external stering.i have a 496 stroker motor and shes putting out alittle over 600hp..loads of torque swings a 26 four blade effortlessly what a sweet motor thanx for any info

SHARKEY-IMAGES 07-24-2003 07:35 PM

T2x can fill you in......;)

ActiveThunderTodd 07-24-2003 10:43 PM

I had an '88 with a 365 mag bravo outdrive (the first year they came out with the bravo) I must have put on over 1000 hours on that boat. Not the best fit and finish but a really fun ride. You really needed to learn the boat before you would get on it hard. With the set up I had it would top out at about 68-70. That was plenty fast in that boat. It was really fun turning it hard. it would slide all the way around a corner if you handled it right. the scary part was every once in a while it would catch and outside chine and want to roll to outside on you. I got pretty good at handling the boat. It would beat you to death in any kind of rougher water. But that thing sure was fun. Even today I still like the styling of the 240 Offshore Switzer. Wish I could dig up an old pic of mine. Back in '88 they only had one paint design using a couple of differnt colors. Mine was white hull with red, black and grey stripes. I would love to know where it is today.

T2x 07-25-2003 07:38 AM

Originally posted by sharkeymarine
T2x can fill you in......;)
Actually, I can't....... While I am quite familiar with the 50's -70's era Switzer OPC race hulls, I know little about the larger offshore vees. These were built after the fire at Switzercraft.....and , I think, after the company was sold by the Switzer brothers to another owner.....

They certainly don't have the "rep", unique designs, nor amazing speed of the earlier air entrapment hulls.

T2x

ActiveThunderTodd 07-25-2003 08:49 AM

Through out the 70's and 80's they built mostly small and very fast vee's. These were mostly 16 to 21 ft. Mostly outboards. The 21 GL was their biggest untill the 240 Offshore came along. Then they made a 22' offshore as well. These were deep vee's where the small boats were much flatter vee's. The Switzer's sold the business the Koons family. They are the one's who built the bigger boats. Then I think around 92 or 93 they went out of business. As I understand it the Switzers got all the molds back. I saw a couple of years ago that they built a couple of the 17' ob and sold them. Don't know if they still have the molds for the 24.

Oh yea the Koon's did try and build a 32' model. There was only one boat ever made. Had a lot of problems with it but I heard some bought it stripped it down and fixed many of the problems. It was a really great looking boat. Wonder what happened to those molds as well??

Bam Bam 07-25-2003 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I sold my Switzer 240 in the spring. It too was an 89 but had the OMC King Cobra 460. I enjoyed the boat but sold it because the OMC was making me nervous. Switzer was a fairly popular boat up here in Canada, there was a dealer in the Montreal area that sold a ton of them.