Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Faster cars.... What would you choose? >

Faster cars.... What would you choose?

Notices

Faster cars.... What would you choose?

Old 07-29-2003, 12:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

watch out with the 928's. 2 years ago i bought a '82 5 speed for 4500...seemed like a great deal at the time. now it has become the worst nightmare of my life. 25K!!!! in repairs to date... and still climbing the car is in the shop right now to get the door locks fixed and the brakes are hangin up. Watch out for early model's (pre '86) these have a lot of problems mechanically and especially with the tranny. get a newer model if possible and get it checked out by a friend that is a mechanic, not some random one that will know that the car is comin to him when it breaks... this is what i did. The guy said buy for 4500 and put max 5k in and it will be perfect. I think he may have underestimated just a tad. 928's are real head turners and sound cool, and are amazing when they work correctly. so just be careful

disgruntled 928 owner
Justin
Old 07-29-2003, 01:05 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 07-29-2003, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Don't buy anything foreign that you don't plan to work on yourself. German cars are usually very well laid out and easy to work on if you know the tricks. Parts can be surprisingly inexpensive (or hideously expensive), there is no logic to the pricing.

Owned 4 S-class Benzes and did all post-warranty work myself. Most rewarding wrenching I've done. Amazing design philosophy. You might have to get behind the dash to access some HVAC module. On a domestic car this would be a 8-hour job. On the benz, you pull two hidden pins and remove six phillips screws and the whole dash assembly hinges towards you allowing easy access - stuff like that abounds on these cars...

Porsches, Audis, etc. service pricing is hideous because some joe in a foreign repair shop has discovered that #1) these cars are easy to work on and #2) people will pay out the butt to get them fixed cause others are scared to work on them.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second 21 Hustler's opinion on the 928. There is a reason you can always find a used one cheap.
When I was in college, I worked at a foreign car parts shop, and some of the quotes I gave out to 928 owners for parts I could get made me cringe. If I had to send them to the dealer, that was even worse. People used to call back and ask "Are you POSITIVE you can't get it for me?"
The guy who owned the shop had 2 of them. First one was bought used, and was relatively trouble free. He liked it, so he bought a brand new one. It spent about 6 of the next 12 months at the dealer, and was then stolen. He bought a 911, and continued to buy 911's for years after.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:53 AM
Scott72

Back when I was younger I had a 1982 Mustang GT with a 1988 Roller motor in it with a T-5. Did all the stuff to it back then (8.8 rear - 3.73's) cam, head work, headers, no cats etc... So much fun to drive an would run a 13.2 on slicks at the track. I say go with the Mustang. I aslo had two 911's at one point or another. A 1966 (401st 911 ever made), which I should have kept and a 1980 911SC. The SC was a nightmare. Only 60K original miles but popped the airbox (which they all do), blew an oil cooler and dropped 12 quarts of oil on the highway. A/C didn't work, heat was scetchy etc.. Your gonna put money in any old Porsche and it's not cheap (a clutch on a 944 is supposedly the worst job ever- it's in the rear).

Old 07-29-2003, 11:09 AM
Registered

if you do choose to go with a 928 i use a parts distributor out in CA that has and knows everything about 928's and are about half the price for parts as anyone else. they are called 928 international and their website is www.928intl.com if u wanna fix something yourself call them and they will help you...great guys..you get your parts in 3-4 days...they saved me thousands which is scary to think about cause i have already put in 25K!!! if u have any questions on 928's feel free to ask

justin
Old 07-29-2003, 11:46 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

944 and no they dont have a lawaway plan for the F-1
Old 07-29-2003, 02:59 PM
WES311SR1

GO FOR THE 944

Old 07-29-2003, 03:31 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

A guy I worked with in the Pentagon had a white Bandit II Edition TA. I did not care for it. It looked like it had a bad accident with a JC Whitney Delivery Truck.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get an 89-93 Mustang LX-Notchback if you can find one! Just be careful of the 93's if you want to spray it. Ford changed from Forged to Hyerutectic(spelling????)Pistons that year. I had a 92 Notch that was probably the funnest car I have ever owned. Some A@#hole stole it one night after the races. He was probably pissed because I spanked his U know what! I've got a 95 GT now and it is fun(600+HP), but you just can't toss it around like my old notch. Good luck.
Ty
Attached Thumbnails Faster cars.... What would you choose?-101-0195_img.jpg  

Quick Reply: Faster cars.... What would you choose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.