Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Experienced OSO Boaters Opinons Needed: Old/Cheap vs New/$$$$$$? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/55809-experienced-oso-boaters-opinons-needed-old-cheap-vs-new-%24%24%24%24%24%24.html)

BajaFresh 08-01-2003 10:56 AM

Soooo,

Is there any hope of getting the Liberator from 55 to 60 - 65 MPH? New cams, intakes, headers, etc, maybe blowers? I like doing the motor work but also want reliablity so moderate cam and boost.

The Mirage Intimidator with 454's runs low 60's with 21P props. Does this boat have more potential?

The small blocks are easier (more room) and cheaper to work on. Big blocks seem to be more the standard for boats though.

I'm going to look at both boats tomorrow.

Then the dealer that I bought my boat from has a 1997 Baja Outlaw SST 29 for $60K. Maybe I should just trade mine in and have a trun key boat that I don't have to mess with.

Decisions, decisions.....:confused: :confused: :confused: :D

cuda 08-01-2003 11:03 AM

By the time you get to where you want to be with speed, you could have bought a boat that has the speed you desire. Keep looking, there are some out there. Usually if a person puts money in the motor, they don't get it back out at resell. Make sure it's the other guy that sunk the bucks and not you.

Clay Washington 08-01-2003 11:16 AM

$15K to 18K sounds pretty cheap for a "performance" boat. If you are currently a late model Baja owner, will you be happy with a "beater" boat?

If you want both speed and comfort and don't mind a 10+ year-old boat, I suggest that you look at a 31-foot Cigarette Bullet.

1990 CIGARETTE Bullet Pro-Series

1991 Cigarette Racing Team Bullet GT1

These two boats should be fast and comfortable. They are real "head turners" around the docks, too.

Good luck! :cool:

BajaFresh 08-01-2003 11:22 AM

Originally posted by cuda
By the time you get to where you want to be with speed, you could have bought a boat that has the speed you desire. Keep looking, there are some out there. Usually if a person puts money in the motor, they don't get it back out at resell. Make sure it's the other guy that sunk the bucks and not you.
Sounds like good advise......better to be on the water than in the garage, huh?:D

I know there are a lot of deals out there now and probably more as the season winds down. Plus, I would want to sell mine before getting another. Dang! I sure do have a bad case of that damn 3/5/10 footitis sh!t! Is there no cure besides spending $$$$ on a bigger boat?

I was at the river a little while ago talking with a guy with a 34' Eliminator. Beautiful boat and would be great in the ocean. The owner lived in Newport but keeps the boat at Parker (not Havasu!). He said the ocean was too rough for him! He has a couple buddies that stuffed their big boats and won't run in the ocean anymore ??!!??:eek: I told him, just because you can run your boat at 80 mph doesn't meen you have to!!!!!!

Maybe I need to follow my own advise and just mellow out for a bit! Naaaaaaa! :p

How about this one? http://www.dicksimonmarine.com/listi...32&category=39

29Fever 08-01-2003 11:25 AM

Originally posted by hi-perf-2000

and BTW....your 260hp is a 350ci. ;)

I'm pretty sure all of the Baja 20 Outlaws are 5.0s, not 5.7s.

BajaFresh 08-01-2003 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Clay Washington
$15K to 18K sounds pretty cheap for a "performance" boat. If you are currently a late model Baja owner, will you be happy with a "beater" boat?

If you want both speed and comfort and don't mind a 10+ year-old boat, I suggest that you look at a 31-foot Cigarette Bullet.

1990 CIGARETTE Bullet Pro-Series

1991 Cigarette Racing Team Bullet GT1

These two boats should be fast and comfortable. They are real "head turners" around the docks, too.

Good luck! :cool:

I know $15K to $18K is cheap but my thinking was put work into them and make them like a hot rod on the water.

The Cigs look nice although the '91 says 950 hours and only goes 55?

I think they max out my towing ability as well (10K).

I'd love a Cig and have been looking for some 28SS's.

stevel 08-01-2003 04:53 PM

Old boats from reputable manufactured can be a great deal. I have owned newer boats and older boats. The resale value holds up and you don't have to be anal about every little detail. Overall, you will save a lot of money and have the same amount of fun.

Find a boat that goes as fast as you want to go. Upgrades are expensive. Let the first owner upgrade it and them pay him next to nothing for the upgrades, they depreciate quickly.

Check out insurance before you buy! Some companies will not insure fast boats, especially depending on your experience level and past ownership. Some companies also don't like to insure high performance boats over 10 years old. A single 1000 hp motor might cost less to insure than twin 500 hp. Check first. Tripples are hard to insure. I found out the hard way.

FYI - Many of us exceed our tow ratings on a regular basis without any issues at all.

Happy hunting.

Steve

stevel 08-01-2003 04:54 PM

Make sure you get a survey first or have some very knowledgable friends help you look it over. This is important on an older boat.

Steve

BajaFresh 08-01-2003 05:22 PM

Originally posted by stevel

Check out insurance before you buy! Some companies will not insure fast boats, especially depending on your experience level and past ownership. Some companies also don't like to insure high performance boats over 10 years old. A single 1000 hp motor might cost less to insure than twin 500 hp. Check first. Tripples are hard to insure. I found out the hard way.

FYI - Many of us exceed our tow ratings on a regular basis without any issues at all.

Happy hunting.

Steve

I checked with AAA who now insures my Baja. The 2001 Outlaw 29 with twin 454 / 385HP will go for $1200/year. That's with $300K liability. I didn't check for 10 + year old boats but I don't think it would be a problem. I would like to go with twin power for ocean running but I know there are some good deals on 27/28 foot single BB's.

Will definately get a survey unless boat is local, then will try to drag some of the local OSO members to look at it with me.

I don't want to exceed my towing cpacity because of insurance implications should a problem occur.

sean stinson 08-01-2003 05:58 PM

Fresh

Let me ask you what are you looking for out of a boat?

As for cheap older used ask NickSlick about the nightmare....Thats worse case pretty much.

I have done some refits on a couple of boats that turned out gorgeous, but ended up close to the same money as a brand new one that would've been current model year.

Old is cheap and YES there are some good deals out there to be had BUT make sure you use a good hull surveyor and a good mechanic for engine survey's. If you have some that you trust by all means spend the money and take them with you for all phases of the purchase and delivery process.

New/$$$$$$$......One word..........WARRANTY
next..................two words.........EXTENDED WARRANTY

These are very big items to consider when purchasing a boat.

Now you have to weigh the outcome of dollars saved on cheap, but spent on repairs to equipment.

OR

The amount of dollars spent on new, but saved on repairs covered under warranty/warranties.

This is the lifelong dilemma boaters have faced for years. If I can be of any help please contact me with your numbers so we can chat bro.

:cool: :cool: :cool: