Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
This is who I consider one of the bravest individuals in any sport today. >

This is who I consider one of the bravest individuals in any sport today.

Notices

This is who I consider one of the bravest individuals in any sport today.

Old 09-05-2003, 05:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up This is who I consider one of the bravest individuals in any sport today.

Mishap may have saved racer's life

August 28, 2003

By Bobbye Hernandez
It could have been a tragedy. But ultimately, it may have been a lifesaver.

Sam Miller, a Kankakee resident, was involved in an accident last year while participating in the OPC National Championships, the power boat races held annually as part of the Kankakee River Valley Regatta.

The mishap landed Miller in the hospital with a lacerated liver. But it also allowed doctors to find a cancerous kidney and treat Miller.

"I had one third of my kidney removed," said Miller. "It was kind of a good thing it (the accident) happened."

He has recovered and is now back in action, preparing to compete in this year's races which begin Saturday and continue through Monday. Racers will begin testing their boats Friday. Spectators can view the action at both River Road Park and Beckman Park.

Miller, 29, is no stranger to a medical crisis. In February of 1996, he had a heart transplant. An extensive recovery period followed, but he returned to his labor of love in 1997. By 2001, Miller notched a fifth-place finish in the SST 70 class at the Regatta.

This year has presented more challenges for Miller. He flipped his boat in a race at Pittsburgh two weeks ago. He is now scrambling to get ready for this weekend.

"I'm in the midst of fixing my boat," Miller said. He wrecked his blue and green 2000 Pugh, with a 60 horse power Evinrude engine, at Pittsburgh.

Miller currently races in SST60 and SST70 classes. At last glance, he was fifth in the point standings.

Printed from The Daily Journal, Kankakee Il

September 1, 2003
Sam Miller became SST 60 National Champ in front of home town crowd and family members.

Photo By Valerie Collins
Attached Thumbnails This is who I consider one of the bravest individuals in any sport today.-kan03sammiller.jpg  
Old 09-05-2003, 06:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

No question about it. Brave and one hell of a boat racer. There was not a dry eye in Kankakee when he had that flag in his hand. Great Job Sam. SQ
Orders for 08' DVC hulls now being taken.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:17 PM
Registered

ttt
Old 09-05-2003, 04:48 PM
BK
Registered

What an amazing individual. I've never cried over someone winning before.

And boy was he was FLYING!

More pictures at:
http://www.apba-racing.com/News.php

and at http://www.roostertails.net

Sam the champ: http://www.roostertails.net/Outboards/K303/IMG_2113.JPG