Notices

Stains at the water line

Old 08-01-2003, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-On at West Marine

Don't inhale when you're using it though. You'll feel like you inhaled mustard gas. Works like a champ!!
Old 08-01-2003, 09:01 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

We use a Blue Gel, I can't remember the name though. apply it with a sponge then rinse it away!! It isn't as harsh as the On-Off or Hull cleaner from Starbrite. The wax actually stays on for a couple of applications.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:13 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I get Sno Bol from Wal Mart
Old 08-02-2003, 02:13 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Von Bongo
[B]Zep toilet bowl cleaner just melts it right away. It is acidic so rinse and wax after.

used it all the time to remove the Missouri River scum.

/B]
I don't wax the bottom of my boat. Do I still need to do this if I use the Zep? Can I just rinse?

BH
Old 08-02-2003, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I highly recommend that you DO NOT use on/off. Bad stuff. Ringo is the ticket. Totally non acidic. Wipe it on and hose it off. Leaves the bottom looking like it is freshly waxed. Vyper340 sells it. You can PM him or maybe he will see this thread and post the info.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:04 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Bad Habit,

The common base used in all the effective products is an acid, and some have as many as 3 acids mixed. Toilet bowl and fiberglass shower cleaners containing an acid should work.

While the acids will remove any protective properties wax may have provided the gelcoat, that has already happened if the hull turns yellow in the first place. The acid is required to bleach out the stain, nothing else works, even rubbing & polishing compounds. By the way, Ringo has a hydrocholoric acid base, and is used as a toilet bowl disinfectant and cleaner. No matter what product you use, they all must be rinsed thoroughly. Use rubber gloves too.

Personally I use ON/OFF due to the cost of weekly applications. I cut it by at least 75% with water and put it in a 1 gallon Home Depot Home & Garden chemical sprayer. It can be cut by as much as 90% if you're willing to wait an extra few minutes for it to work. With the sprayer application, you can walk around the boat and have it bleached out in a matter of minutes. Rinse the boat & the sprayer after each use.

The caveat about acid based products is in regards to the trailer. Using ON/OFF straight up is overkill but it removes rust from SS props. It will do the same on a trailer as well as remove any oxidation or dirt. Be very careful handling all of the products, especially ON/OFF.

I've only found 2 or 3 coats of Liquid Glass applied per instructions will keep the hull from yellowing in the first place for about 4-6 weeks. Since I have 34' of boat sitting on a lift, that's not a good option for me.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 08-02-2003, 08:07 AM
Registered

Originally posted by R Addiction
We use a Blue Gel, I can't remember the name though. apply it with a sponge then rinse it away!! It isn't as harsh as the On-Off or Hull cleaner from Starbrite. The wax actually stays on for a couple of applications.

FSR ... You can get it at any boat supply store. Wardey
Old 08-02-2003, 08:47 AM
Registered

FSR Fiberglass Stain Remover. It is a blue gel. Nothing removes Mississippi River water lines better or easier. I always wax after using it.

This year for the first time I have been waxing with Starbrite Wax w/Teflon and have yet to use the FSR. Water lines just wipe off with a little Fantastik. In years past after a month or so I could see a little water line (brown color) remaining even after a good cleaning. Not this year, I'm extremely impressed with both products. Note: My boat is stored on a lift so it is not in the water all the time.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:04 PM
Mr. Demeanor

I wonder if you just hung those blue toilet tank biscuits around your boat when it was sitting in the water....

Old 08-03-2003, 06:45 AM
Registered

Those using ON/Off or other heavy acid cleaners need to be aware that it will eventually pit the gel coat and will stain repeatitively thus causing permanent damage. I've seen it and you don't want that. Plus it's a bear to work with... I would only recommend using a gentle cleaner and no Muratic or other straight or diluted acid.

I use Ringo... and I also sell it because I found it to work the best on ANY scum line/yellowing. It is by far the easiest thing to use that I've found including the toilet bowl cleaners that were already mentioned. It's a liquid soap/gel like fluid that adheres to the boat when applying and soaks into the pores that the bacteria grows without removing the wax (because there is NO scrubbing required). After 3-5 minutes you just spray it off and Voila! you're done. It will not stain again like ON/Off unless your gel has already been damaged.

If anyone is interested in some email me and I'll get back to you.
[email protected]

Dave

Quick Reply: Stains at the water line

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.