Notices

Stains at the water line

Old 08-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vyper340, how do you apply Ringo to the bottom of the boat. The bottom of my boat has started to turn yellow this year and I would like to clean it. Now that it is turning yellow, after I clean it, will it keep turning yellow more frequently. thanks for the info
Old 08-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Registered

Does West Marine carry Ringo? Also, is it strictly a cleaner or a wax also? Do you need to wax the boat after using it? I've only had to acid wash my hull twice (which cleaned it great), but hopefully didn't permanently damage anything. Will waxing the boat now keep the stains from happening again? thanks

Last edited by JROMY; 08-03-2003 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:02 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Dave, your statement has me puzzled. I've been using On/Off on my hulls for at least 14 years, and my most recent Scarab, weekly for the last 7 seasons. It's never harmed the gelcoat, my paint nor my decals. Even when I first started using it straight up, it did no damage. Forgetting to rinse the hull after application is the only way I can think of any acid cleaners might damage a hull. Provided the cleaners are handled properly per instructions and the solution is rinsed from the hull, users have no fear from any of these products.

And in every case, whether its Ringo, On/Off, FSR, SLX, Starbrite Hull Cleaner, etc., the yellow will return to the same level as before unless the hull is waxed again. The acids will remove the protection properties of the wax.

We have numerous members in our club who use a variety of products, many use On/Off without any issues. With that said, I'm wondering how it damaged your gelcoat. Can you perhaps elaborate on the type/make of boat, the original condition of the gelcoat, was the boat rinsed after use, etc. Just curious, but it would be nice to know. I do not sell On/Off, I'm just a satisfied user.

Thanks in advance.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 08-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No,

I just meant that it takes off the wax so you need to wax the sides.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:57 PM

My boat was completely cleaned and waxed before I left and it still got a yellow bottom. So I'm not sure about all this talk about wax first to prevent yellowing in the first place.

In any case I used the Zep toilet bowl cleaner on Sunday and the bottom looks new again.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:19 PM
Registered

My $.02 is to use On/Off diluted as Keith suggested. I've done the same thing for years and never had a yellowing or gel-coat problem.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:03 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

FSR
Old 08-04-2003, 04:55 PM

What is FSR?
Old 08-04-2003, 06:24 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Fiberglass Stain Remover. Good stuff, easy on the boat!
Old 08-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Registered

28Eliminator - Applying Ringo is as easy as it gets. Simply use a damp rag or sponge applicator and wipe it on like you were applying liquid wax. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes and spray off. That's it! Unlike the acids mentioned it does not require the use of gloves, goggles, respirator, etc. and will not harm your skin and other components of the boat. As far as yellowing goes, I have not found that the stains return as quickly although any stain will return. As others have said, if you do apply some protective coating over the cleaned surface it can and will stay clean longer.

JROMY - Unfortunately West Marine does not carry it or I would recommend that you go there to get it. It is only available via a distributor and that's why I have some to sell. After being introduced to Ringo about 3 years ago, I found it to be the best and EASIEST product to get the fiberglass looking new again. As a result I found out a way to become a distributor and sell the product to my fellow boaters. Ringo is strictly a cleaner and contains no wax. It will not remove wax because there is no scrubbing like some of the other products and it penetrates into the pores of the gel coat to kill the discoloring bacteria. It never hurts to apply more wax once you done a thorough cleaning which will only help fill the pores. Think of it like polishing a leather shoe with wax. If you only apply a couple of coats the shoes don't look so good. It requires many coats to get that mirror shine. All the wax does is fill the pores of the leather to protect and give the leather a solid smooth surface look.

Quick Reply: Stains at the water line

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.