Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Which marine speakers...MB Quartz, Babb, or Infinity?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/55993-marine-speakers-mb-quartz-babb-infinity.html)

candyman35 08-05-2003 01:25 AM

Originally posted by jafo
Bought my Babb's from Audiofn- absolutely awesome sounding marine speakers!
I got mine from Jon also. Four 6X9’s powered by a RF amp. I'm very happy with them. The grill isn't the best. I am considering the Billet speaker covers to help the problem. I just hope they don't affect the sound.
Dan

RollWithIt 08-05-2003 03:14 AM

I have no experience with the MBquartz or the Babbs as far as how they hold up or sound. I do know that Kicker makes excellent sounding marine speakers in 6 1/2 and in subs. I have four 6 1/2 speakers and two 12" subs in my boat all powered by two Rockford Fosgate amps and the system cranks. Best part is I can turn it up while I am driving and it still sounds clear. Also, 27Fountain has it right, stay away from free air with the subs. Use sealed boxes.

boat4life 08-05-2003 05:08 AM

I have 6 focal 6 1/2's and 6 1 in. tweeters that I'm putting a true 65 watts per speaker, they sound great.

Audiofn 08-05-2003 07:20 AM

Originally posted by Griff
Thanks for correcting my error:p
I was thinking that he meant covering the whole front face of the speaker.

BTW, ever get 4 channel amp for me??? or do you remeber that. Not sure how lit you were when we talked about it. LOL:D

I vaguely remember something about me maybe having a used amp that I would send ya? Is that what we were talking about? If it was the night we were at the Toad FORGET ABOUT IT I claim to know NOTHING :D:D

Jon

FWK 08-05-2003 08:00 AM

Hotrod2, Jon iright, Babb is very good about warrantying their product they at one time had the baskets cracking and replaced every one even out of warranty. They are also owned by the Babb family and stand behind the name.That was a long time ago. I have not had any problems like this for many years. You can reach them @1800892.
The majority of speaker manufacturers today have given up on free air subs. Pioneer still produces a free air sub.

FWK 08-05-2003 08:19 AM

Thanks for the endorsementMike and Will.
Hey Jon are you close to splashing the boat? After that you need to come to STL and get CHART going on his fairing. Of course you will have to move in with them for a few months. This might hurt your business a little. Forrest

Griff 08-05-2003 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Audiofn
I vaguely remember something about me maybe having a used amp that I would send ya? Is that what we were talking about? If it was the night we were at the Toad FORGET ABOUT IT I claim to know NOTHING :D:D

Jon

Thats the one. Something about it being more cost effective to give it away than sell it for tax purposes. You told me about a different time than that night at the Toad, but at the Toad you said you'd pay for shipping and would even come install for free if I wanted you too:eek: You remember that, don't you?????;) :D

Reindl Powerboats 08-05-2003 06:19 PM

Jon will know best, we like our MB's but they are expensive.

mcollinstn 08-05-2003 08:21 PM

Liquid,

If you are blowing capacitors, then it is because you are running your amp into distortion. Distortion blows capacitors (and overstresses speaker suspensions and overheats voice coils). If you need it loud, then buy yourself a cleaner amp of at least twice the wattage you are currently running.

Audiofn 08-05-2003 10:24 PM

Originally posted by Griff
Thats the one. Something about it being more cost effective to give it away than sell it for tax purposes. You told me about a different time than that night at the Toad, but at the Toad you said you'd pay for shipping and would even come install for free if I wanted you too:eek: You remember that, don't you?????;) :D
You got proof? :D:D