Notices

Bacardi accident in NC

Old 08-04-2003, 10:07 AM
Mad Hatter

This weekend I had a guy turn and come straight for me like he was playing chicken, then when he was about 100 ft away he decides to do a spinout. I was doing about 50mph, as I swerved to miss him the guy (he was at least in his 40's) he looked at me with a big $h1t eating grin on his face. I naturally gave him the "WTF where you thinking?" headshake and promptly gave him the middle finger. He then gave me a very confused look like he didn't know what he did. Oh and this was in the Lake Mac narrows which doesn't leave a whole lotta room for maneuvering.

The problem for the most part with PWC's is lack of respect. Aside from stand ups, any idiot can ride one and they have no respect for what can happen to them if they don't pay attention to boaters around them. You always see them swerving back and for across shipping lanes without looking for other boaters and its just as bad on the big lakes. Now don't get me wrong, I love riding PWC's, I even own one and I know not everyone riding them is complete idiot, but there seems to be a majority of them. There should be a liscense for them just like motorcylces.

I also used to race them and I know the dangers of them. I had one brake my nose in two places, my skull in one, knock out one tooth, the dr. lost count and 350 stitches and I've had 2 reconstuctive nose jobs and I'm in need of another. This was all from one accident and this happened while I was swimming.

Old 08-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Indy
... but you have to be pretty stupid to want to play chicken with a big fast boat. Maybe there's more to the story.
I vote for option "A". In New Orleans last year after the race, we were in a friend's 33 Fountain doing about 70mph when Bacardi came out doing some post-race testing. She passed us about 100 yards away running pretty hard, and we could hear her over twin big blocks. This just sounds like stupidity to me.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:23 AM
Mad Hatter

Go here and click on the links for my after surgery pics. And not a word about my hair. I was 15.

http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/sho...hreadid=146383

Old 08-04-2003, 10:24 AM
packinair

Default This off screamandfly

How unfair... 202 mph boat hits a jetski.... boater ticketed
The Bacardi Silver cat was FLYING at the Superboat race in Washington NC this weekend. He posted a 202 mph best pass in Fridays speed session.
He lapped the entire field including the all the Fountian boats right in Reggies back door.

Saturday though a mishap occured that could have been very tragic. The Bacardi SILVER cat hit a 15 yr old on a Jetski while he was running at speed. I wasn't there to witness it, so all my information is second hand and could have errors but here is the story I got from a guy who witnessed the event.
There was a marked course for speed runs and the Barcadi Silver boat was making a pass within the marked bouys. A Jetskier turned without looking back and cut across the course into the path of the Bacardi silver boat. The boat tried to avoid the collision but the jetski plowed into the rear quarter of the boat causing damage to the race boat. Thankfully it was just fiberglass damage and no one was killed but here it what really sucks!
The wildlife guy ticketed the Bacardi Silver boat driver with careless driving. The things that stink about this is
1 HE WAS ON A MARKED COURSE and going in a straight path
2 The Jetski turned into his path
3 The jetski operator was only 15 (have to be 16 to operate by yourself in North Carolina)

After striking the jetski, the Bacardi driver turned around and upon seeing the kid was ok, just shaken preceded to let me have it verbally for being soo stupid. The father of the jetski operator then proceeded to lash out at the race boat driver and the wildlife officer ticketed the wrong one (in my opinion)

Anyone else hear about this event?

Old 08-04-2003, 10:26 AM
packinair

my solution
Attached Thumbnails Bacardi accident in NC-intake.jpg  

Old 08-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe NC is same as VA.....have to be 16 to operate a PWC without a license. You can take a course and get a license at 14 I believe. Still, if it is true that Bacardi got the ticket, that officer should be sent back to class.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remotely operated deckgun. Problem Solved . . .
Attached Thumbnails Bacardi accident in NC-boeing-patrol.jpg  
Old 08-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This might help. Need to find a place to mount it.
Attached Thumbnails Bacardi accident in NC-zzzzzzg.jpg  
Old 08-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Registered

That would work on maybe a 51 Outerlimits. Or, actually, a 46 Skater would be perfect.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:36 AM
Registered

If the jetski operators in NC are anything like the ones in Pittsburgh then I am sure that it was his fault. My experience here is that 90 percent of jetski operators are idiots and think that they own the rivers. This after they are required to have a certificate that says they know the rules of the waterways. It is a joke. And as far as that officer needing retraining, I got a better one for you. One of the dockers at my family's marina was traveling in a straight path, with wife and kids on board, at a slow speed when a Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Comission Officer made a 90% turn and rammed the rear starboard quarter of their boat. The Officer said that they got into his way as he was trying to pursue a cruiser ( read slow and cumbersome ) that had no running lights turned on. The operator of the rammed boat was able to see the hull rivets on the bottom of the Fish and Boat Commission boat as well as several witnesses. To top things off, the Officer gave the driver of the rammed boat a ticket for careless driving. Just goes to show that there are idiots all over the place. And sometimes they are responsible for watching over the other idiots.