Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
LOTO wave problems recognized... >

LOTO wave problems recognized...

Notices

LOTO wave problems recognized...

Old 08-04-2003, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am confused. Common for me, but confused nonetheless. It says in the article above that the lake is "owned" by AmerenUE. How is it that there is all this development of personal real estate? Secondly, does AmerenUE own the rights to the lakes water to use it for power generation? It would seem to me if they actually "owned" the lake, they would be setting themsleves up for law suit after law suit. Can someone clarify? I am sure there must be some logical explanation that I am just not aware of. Thanks and good luck.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:51 AM
Registered

They built the dam, it is one of the few reserviors that are not owned and operated by the corps of engineers, which is why there is development on the lake. Most COE lakes around here have little or no development within 300 ft of the lake.

THey control docks, Im not sure if they have much control over buildings beyond a few feet of high water level.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Registered

Also, no local juristictions extend into the lake, it is controlled/governed by state law only, which is why party cove is legal!!!!
Old 08-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the article doesn't say but is on the radio today is also a horsepower limit too.

I believe that UE owns the lake, ground under the lake, water and a few feet of ground back from the "full pool" and that is why there are permits for sea walls and docks.

The problem on the weekends and holidays will get worse before it gets better. One thing that makes it bad is the large cruisers that operate at plowing speed. Any large boat makes a large wake but when they are not not on plane it makes worse.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Registered

The cruisers need to stay in the middle of the lake so their waves can decrease somewhat before hitting the seawalls. Sometimes you'll see this 40' SeaRay plowinwing along 100' feet from the docks
The powerboats aren't the real problem. When on plane the waves aren't that bad at all. Certain boats need to travel certain ways, like in the middle of the chanel and the go-fasts can easily pass by.
My .02
Old 08-04-2003, 05:13 PM
Registered

You know its not all the big cruisers fault either. A writer from one of my many boating mags observed that as he was standing on the shores of Havasu he noticed that the lake was really rough. He never remembered the lake being that rough, as he looked about he realized that all these new wakeboard boats were causing the rough water.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

AFTER SPENDING 3 1/2 HOURS REPAIRING MY DOCK 2ND TIME THIS YEAR SOME ONE HAS TO GET IT FIGURED OUT A DISPLACEMENT LIMITATION WILL BE THE ONLY THING THAT SAVES THE LAKE. THE FIRST TIME A VIDIO CAMERA CATCHES A CRUISER WAKE DISTROYING A DOCK OR CAPSIZING A BOAT LOOK OUT. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR WAKE! THE INSURANCE COMPANIES WILL RETHINK THEIR POSITIONS. IM NOT BITTER I CHOOSE TO BE ON THE MAIN CHANNEL BUT IF SOMETHINGS NOT DONE SOON THERE WILL BE HUGE CHANGES TO THE WAY WE BOAT AT LOTO. AND THATS WHAT IM CONCERNED ABOUT.

SHANE
TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION UE OWNS EVERTHING UP TO THE 660 LINE 660 IS SEA LEVEL. ANYTHING BELOW 660 IS UNDER WATER AT FULL POOL PROPERTY OWNERS START AT 660 AND ABOVE.

LATER

ANYONE KNOW WERE I CAN FIND A 65FT FOUNTAIN CHEAP
Old 08-05-2003, 09:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Gonna sink it and make a sea wall out of it?

......... NO, NO, NO,

Haul the half sunken remains of
the barge over there, that should make a real
nice break water
Old 08-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Registered

Hey HOT WATER,

I guess you haven't done any boating at LOTO in the past few years. Thery is NO ONE crazy enough to wakeboard in the Main channel on LOTO. You have to look at it this way, A 63ft Sunseeker now calls LOTO home, if I remember correctly this boat weighs in at around 60000lbs. A 21ft wakesetter weighs in at about 2500lbs plus wake enhancing Ballast tanks and foil creates about 750lbs additional weight. Now do the math and you will figure out that it is the Big cruisers and yachts that create the fun. I must say, I love the rough water, it is a lot of fun in offshore boats, but, something has to be done to protect main channel docks. It is sad to see someone buy a home on the main channel during the week and then show up for the first holiday weekend. After the first time they have to crawl on all fours off their dock, they then realize they made a BIG Mistake!!! There definitely needs to be something done, but what, I certainly don't know what to do, and I think the State agencies are in the same position. Just my 2cents.

By the way, I am looking for a 99-01 38ZX Daytona with 500's. I am new to the board and absolutely love it.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Registered

Default Re: LOTO wave problems recognized...

Sorry for the 'resurrect', but this thread is pretty good. I can't imagine the conditions on LOTO on a busy holiday weekend.
On the other hand, . . . the bars have to be ROCKIN . . . .

Take a look at these "Google Earth" images . . .
Look at ALL the docks, boathouses, and boats. . . .
Attached Thumbnails LOTO wave problems recognized...-2.jpg   LOTO wave problems recognized...-3.jpg   LOTO wave problems recognized...-4.jpg  

Quick Reply: LOTO wave problems recognized...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.