Notices

Scarab 30 Sport

Old 08-05-2003, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scarab 30 Sport

Anyone know how the Wellcraft Scarab 30 Sport runs? There is a 1987 model for sale by me, cheap. Giving it some semi-serious thought as a boat to get us on the water until we can buy the "dream boat"

Listed as twin Merc 220's? Did/does Merc make a 220 hp outboard? Supposedly, the powerheads have been replaced.

Obviously, the boat could use a few updates but I'm more interesting in the ride / build quality. Could probably pick it up for $20K.

Thoughts?
Old 08-05-2003, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scarab Sport .......

Dockrocker ... How about this one for 45K ...

1998 w/ 250 EFI Mercs

These ride real soft in the chop . The build quality is on par with or better than a Scarab go-fast . These boats are basically meant to get beat up every weekend on the kingfish circuit . Loads of room . Versatile and sporty all rolled into one SUV for the water !!!
Attached Thumbnails Scarab 30 Sport-scarab-onwater1.jpg  
Old 08-05-2003, 10:12 AM
Registered

LEOPAJM

Seeing yours in the classifieds is what kind of sparked my interest; then I ran across one on boattrader. Unfortunately, your boat is out of my price range (even though it is a STEAL from what I saw online today!)

I'm speaking from ignorance, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot that can go wrong with these boats. Is there a porta-pottie in the console? That would be the big item with the Admiral - that and a freshwater sink, but I can add that.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:43 AM
DEVIL MAN

I had a 87 30 foot Scarab Sport with twin Evinrude 225's on it. Had it for three years and put 1500 hours on the boat. I loved that boat. Great looking, plenty of space to party, great ride in the ocean. It was a great entry level offshore boat. Ran 60 miles per hour. People tend to beat the crap out of them so make sure and check for stress cracks and double check where the motors are mounted to the transom. That 99 model sounds like a sweet deal. I would be very cautious about a Sport that was 16 years old. Find out if it has been in the salt...most owners don't flush the engines out so if it is a salt boat, the engines are salt also. It it is in good shape, it is a great boat and a lot of fun.

Good luck.

DMan

Old 08-05-2003, 01:33 PM
Registered

Thanks D-man - the boat is up here in your old stomping grounds, DEEEEEETROIT, Michigan so I don't think it's salty. I might take a run to go look at it later this week. Just kicking some options around right now....
Old 08-05-2003, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ditto

had mine 3 years , rode it hard, fished the gulfstream in all kinds of crap, broke it, fixed it, kept it pristine, sold it for the same money I paid. Great boat. Watch for the soft floors they get. console should be glassed down. ZERO amenities. Its better that way!
Old 08-05-2003, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar center console (1987 Cig 31) and these boats are a lot of fun. If you have friends or family along they will really appreciate the room to move around the boat when you are floating around the lake or tied up at the dock.

I looked at a few Scarab Sports in that year range and they were pretty beat up so look it over well.

You might even consider a hull survey. My insurance company State Farm wanted one done for any boat over 10 years of age before they would insure it.

I have (3) 1987 Mercury 220 XRI EFI Outboards.
Had to replace a powerhead on one around 550 hours because of an oil injection pump failure. As a precaution I replaced the pump in the other two.

I think 1987 was the first year for the 220 hp and they were only made a few years bumping up to the 225.

Cordell