Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New (to us) Tow vehicle! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/56305-new-us-tow-vehicle.html)

OldSchool 08-09-2003 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Sydwayz
BTW, Congrats on the new truck. What year is it?

The truck is a '98. I'm pretty sure that I got a great deal. A wholesaler friend of mine got it for me $14,500. It's got 64K miles. I don't know if I'm supposed to run higher octane gas but I can tell you one thing, it runs like a raped ape. Going on a road trip tommorrow:cool: I'll let you all know what kind of gas mileage I get:eek: I called Gale Banks Engineering and they wanted my phone number and address and I asked why:rolleyes: they told me that the headers and entire exhaust system is stainless and has a transferable lifetime warrenty:D :D

After a very long search, I think that I may be buying a boat tommorrow:D a possible avatar change may be in order:cool: :cool:

Craig

ps- I found the window sticker in the truck $43,944 in 98:rolleyes:

Keith 08-09-2003 05:05 PM

Nice truck Craig, good luck with it. Keep an eye out for same deal for me will ya?!?!?

Keep us posted on the other "pending" purchase. By the way, you coming to the Chesapeake Challenge next month?

OldSchool 08-09-2003 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Keith
Nice truck Craig, good luck with it. Keep an eye out for same deal for me will ya?!?!?

Keep us posted on the other "pending" purchase. By the way, you coming to the Chesapeake Challenge next month?

Yes,
We will be there. I need to call Ted or someone about the possibility of you all wanting my wife's band to play! I'll post one way or the other about my trip north tommorrow;)

Craig

R Addiction 08-10-2003 06:12 AM

Craig, your heading north??? How North!!!;) So Gale Banks make an exhaust for this truck.....HMMMMM!!!

Here's a pic of the wheels I mentioned:

GO4BROKE 08-10-2003 06:22 AM

Craig223, that motor should be happy on 87 octane.

Sydwayz 08-11-2003 09:31 AM

Craig. I have a set of those wheels with E rated tires on them, factory off of my Avalache. I had given a thought to parting with them. They have 7K miles on the tires, and are in perfect shape. I have all hubs and caps. The Suburban at OP has them on there. They came from Frank's new Yukon before he left.

GLH 08-11-2003 01:27 PM

Originally posted by craig223
The dealer gave me a voucher to go and fill it up last night because it was " runnin' on fumes". It turns out that it is a 44 gallon tank and it took 43.6 to fill it up:eek: :eek: $68.60 The good news is that this Gale Banks power Pack is suppossed to give it 10% better fuel economy:rolleyes: , an additional 73+HP and 85 ft. lbs. of torque.
My wife's Excursion has a 44 Gal also (V-10) Mileage is atrocious 14.7 MPG Hgwy/12.5 City / 9 Towing
but small price to pay if she ever has an accident there is that much truck around her and my son!

Kohldog 08-11-2003 03:38 PM

You're going to love pulling with that 'Burb.

I picked up a 99 just like yours last fall. It's a 454 with the 4.10 gears, a K&N intake and I changed the steel wheels to the ones shown above.

This past weekend was my first real towing test on a trip up to lake Superior. Running along at 80, the air on and the cruize set the truck towed 8K with no problems at all. It even stayed in OD with only a kick down when heading up the bigger hills

There is one long steep grade coming out of Duluth and I made it up that thing without ever going below 70 and passing cars along the way. My 94 half ton burb could barely hold 50 going up the same hill!

The mileage sucks but I didn't buy it for saving gas. Normaly I get about 11.5 and on the trip up north I got 8.5 which I thought was pretty good for the speed we were traveling.