Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Dumb question: Am I supposed to have a title for the boat if it is also documented? >

Dumb question: Am I supposed to have a title for the boat if it is also documented?

Notices

Dumb question: Am I supposed to have a title for the boat if it is also documented?

Old 08-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Th Coast Guard must be real busy. I applied back in April and have not received my Certificate yet. I have the running papers but would like the real deal.The mortgage company said maybe by late July when I applied.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no
Old 08-07-2003, 06:45 AM
Registered

I have both. A state of MD title and the CG Cert of Doc. The title was issued while the Doc was in paperwork, but has never been recinded.

-Greg
Old 08-07-2003, 07:35 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Quiet Storm
Th Coast Guard must be real busy. I applied back in April and have not received my Certificate yet. I have the running papers but would like the real deal.The mortgage company said maybe by late July when I applied.
Quiet Storm,
(or anyone else who might know)
Are you required to have all the numbering and lettering done while you are using the running papers?
I am also waiting for documentation... 3 weeks now...
My boat already has state hull numbers on it... I am documenting for other reasons and don't plan on getting fussy with the lettering... but rather just use the state registration and hull ID. But I can't register with the state until I get a C of D.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:11 AM
Registered

Curt you should ahve recived the Coast Guard Documentation when you bought the boat. Normally people will use a documentation service to handle all of that paper work. If you get stopped by Cost Guard or DNR they will request to see your documentaion papers!
Each year you will recive a renewal form from the Coast Guard and they will send you a new set of papers.\
If I were you I would contact a documentation service. I used one out of Charleston
D N Jones Documentation Service Inc
4 Carriage Ln, Charleston, SC 29407
Phone: (843) 556-8446

OK now tell me what kind of boat are you thinking about getting??
Old 08-07-2003, 12:07 PM
DEVIL MAN

Troutly is correct...no more stickers to put on your documentation. The CG sends you a new documentation form with your information on it when you do your annual renewal.

DMan

Old 08-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Jan
Member "69" Charter #70
Charter Member

OK now tell me what kind of boat are you thinking about getting?? [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL, Curt was in Charlotte on Thursday, told me he did not look at any boats. Funny thing is I did not ask !

Jan
Old 08-07-2003, 12:42 PM
Registered

You should have received a Temp tag from the place that you Doc it through. This is what you carry until you get your tags.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Registered

Okay, I just got my running letter... I guess I don't need to do anything until I get my official papers. Cause really, I don't even know what the number will be that I need to permanently attach inside the engine room yet.
And I really don't want to spend a lot of $$ on vinyl if I can just get by with a state registration hull ID... even after I get my papers back.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Curt

Hey Brad, the boat is documented and I do have up to date papers on it. My question is does that replace the title? Can you sell a boat with no title, only C.O.D. papers? That is where I am foggy. My title got lost somewhere in the finance/documentation process 4 years ago. I thought the bank had it but I did not get it back when I paid it off 8 months ago.

And to answer your question I really don't have immediate plans to sell the boat. Jan sent me a picture of a sweet 35 Fountain up in Charlotte that got me thinking "what if I wanted to trade?" I think I will hang on to the 32 for a while longer and enjoy the no payment routine for a while.

Quick Reply: Dumb question: Am I supposed to have a title for the boat if it is also documented?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.