If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Boats:
    1987 Apache Scout

Searay Pachanga 22

Will this be a waste of time or a worth while boat to start?

Platinum Member Platinum Member mcollinstn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1991 F311SR1
    They are fairly solid boats. Average performers but better than average build quality.

As with any used boat, check for soft wood in the transom, stringers (especially near the engine mounts) and floor supports.

As far as a waste of time - all boats are a waste of time. But the time you waste boating is lots of fun.

If the boat is in excellent structural and mechanical condition and you can get it for less than market value, then decide how well you like it. It it's a thumbs up, then go for it.
    I see London, I see France...

Ginger or Mary Ann? Charter Member US1 Fountain's Avatar
    Lafayette, IN
    You'll love it. We did.
    Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies - Not really good for anything, but they
    bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

My Boats:
    353 FasTech
    1000 Islands
    I too had one. Bought a new '89 w/330 Bravo...great little boat for 20 1/2 feet. Try running a slolom course with one...that bottom is G L U E D in turns with the power on! I still remember that boat fondly 5 boats later. There's a young kid in our club w/one, he literally beats the snot out of it in rough water...the boat's not mint by any means...but still in one piece!

Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    Great looking boat and they really hold their value!!! And a 22' is a great length to start with. As stated above, biggest mistake people make is letting the boat get weathered over the years. If that's the case with the one your looking at, you could be in for a lot of headaches. Have someone that knows boats look at it or get it surveyed. Don't let one neglected boat ruin your image of boating. Good luck and be safe!!! Lastly, take a boating coarse, most of us here have, it's really worth the time.

My Boats:
    02 Cigarette Mystique T/S
    Naples, Maine
    We have a 1986 22 Pachanga with a 350 Mag. I am constantly amazed at how well it runs and handles, how solid it is etc.

They perform incredibly well and there must have been quite a bit of R&D done on them. I have tried MANY prop combos and had an Alpha SS on it earlier this season. Mine works best with a 13 3/4 x 23 Lazer II, it spins it 48-4900 with just me and light fuel, 63 on GPS, not bad for a 16 year old boat that has never even had a valve cover off!

I thought I was going to pick up some speed with the shorter SS drive but it actually went 2 mph slower. Seems like the X dimension is very high from the factory.

I think they are a fantastic boat and a great value for the money.

Have fun,

I dont own one personally, but I looked at one before I bought my current boat, the only thing that kept me from buying it was the fact that it had a big block with an Alpha drive bad combination. Other than their use of Alpha's with motors that are too big, I think they are good boats. I have talked to several guys who have owned them and they all love em.

My Boats:
    Don't even mention the word boat
    Tampa, Indian Shores Beach
    I have been a few friends and they are great boats, do a search on them on and see what they are going for and in what condition.

Was going to buy one this spring and decided too opt for a 23ft stingray. The pachanga cabin is very small and hard to get in, it is impossible to get on the bow without almost breaking the window and the big block is almost always in front of an alpha. I paid a 1K more for a 92 stingray with 7.4/bravo and 250hr. They both drive great, just giving you my 2 cents.

I also have a 86 Pachanga 22 and it's a great boat. With the cutty cabin, swim platform and sun pad it's just right for me.
    I'm running a 350 thats worked over, Dart heads, Performer intake, Different cam, etc
    I've got about 4 hours on engine after rebuild and have been taking it easy.
    Before rebuild I could spin a 21 cleaver 5000 RPM
    You should check the stringers by the engine mounts
    mine has problems that I need to address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast