Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
O/T Anybody been to an NHRA event? >

O/T Anybody been to an NHRA event?

Notices

Old 08-12-2003, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O/T Anybody been to an NHRA event?

I'm going to Memphis to catch the NHRA in Sept. I've never been to one but have wanted to for some time. My prob is seating....I don't know if it's better to be right up on the start line....or down some. I figure at the start I'll see the burnouts, staging and all that......but probably will have a hard time seeing the winner. Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 08-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Registered

Talking

The most exciting place to be is at the starting line...a few rows up, you get to see them blast off and all down the track. and the scoreboard as well ...Get a pit pass for when the top fuel, and funny cars fire their engines ..It will make your whole body shake...Bring earplugs...Especially if you bring any kids...Have fun ...you will love it!

Last edited by JETBOAT BRIAN; 08-12-2003 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:33 AM
Registered

been to many. I like the half track myself. You Can see the starting line and they stop the burn out around half way. The finish line is also great btu it seems that most of the action is around the 1000 ft mark. You should go towards the starting line for the pro stock. They are the fastest and hardest leaving out of all the pro catagory.
Enjoy

Rick
Old 08-12-2003, 09:35 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 850 Likes on 312 Posts

1/4 of the way up the track, you get the best of all worlds. Like Jet Boat Brian said, bring some ear protection.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:40 AM
Registered

I've been to the Joliet IL track, does'nt matter where your seat is you can usually walk to different parts of the track. I would watch some passes at the start, half track and finish. They are all pretty cool.

Any one that has never went to one has to go at least once in your life time. T.V. does it absolutely no justice.

The bleachers actually shake when the Nitro cars run, and it feels like the you are getting hit in the chest when they make a pass. If you do pull out the earplugs for a pass your eardrum will actually feel like its getting tickled.

One of the other things that is really neat about the NHRA pits is the accessibility. When your in the pits you can stand 5 feet away from the crews tearing the cars down.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been to several and it makes for an exciting weekend. Earplugs are a must if you want to hear well in the future. The sound of a top fuel dragster is like nothing you have ever heard. If you are at the starting line of a NHRA race the sound of a 2 TF dragsters is that of which you feel. Your eyes will vibrate and it will be difficult to focus as they leave the starting line. When you browse the pit area one thing to be careful for is when they fire up the TF cars then you need to make sure your standing up wind. The exhaust is like tear gas and it can overwhelm the young ones.

Once you go you probably won’t miss an event afterward. After all they are the fastest most powerful motorsport in the world.

Enjoy
Roby
Old 08-12-2003, 09:46 AM
Registered

Anywhere from the box to the 60' marker is cool. Your gonna have a blast.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would move around some ! Starting line is cool for a while , then go half track, then you can't miss the finish line view ! Nothing like seeing a 320+ mph car go by 50 feet in front of you ! Ear plugs a must ! Gas mask and eye drops might be good too if you get near the cars !! Alcohol and NITRO realy stink and realy burn your eyes out !! Have fun !

I'm going to an Indy car race at Pocono on the 24th.
Got free tickets and pit passes !!
Old 08-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep.

Memphis is a great track. Used to have a severe bump in the right lane, but all is better now. The heat and humidity are not the best for Pro Stock, but the nitro classes run well there. In fact several records have been set there recently. My advice is to be near the starting line, probably 60' out, and you will see the winners, etc on the giant screen.
You will love it, it can be very addicting
Nothing like the smell of NITRO in the morning...

John Fairleigh P/S 517, Comp 5117
Old 08-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Default How much?

How much do tickets and pit passes run for an event? I think the US Nationals is at Indy the first weekend of Sept. If I don't end up on the lake, it might be a fun alternative.

Quick Reply: O/T Anybody been to an NHRA event?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.