If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Platinum Member THEJOKER's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Being a great husband and dad , boats , golf
    Lake Lanier - N. Georgia

Thumbs down Mercury to build outboards in China

I just read that Mercury is going to let the Chinese build their smaller outboard engines. The article says they can be more profittable if they build em in China. Great move - what's next a China built HP 500 efi? BH

Charter Member #415 Charter Member
    My Boats:
    1968 Switzer Shooting Star,1967 Switzer Shooting Star,1963 Glasspar G-3
    I cannot imagine some of the jokes that will posted about this. Good old American outboards,right. The 3.0 Mercruiser is built in Mexico,has been for years. The new Bayliner is built in Mexico,nearly all of Merc's control boxes are from Mexico and have a pretty high failure rate,as do a lot of their electical components from there. Their 4-stroke outboards are mostly Yamahas painted black,but are very high reliability. I've been a Merc guy for 35 years,guess I have to embrace Global Manufacturing.Kind of sad, but maybe their accoutants mandated it.I will watch with interest altho we no longer sell outboards.

Platinum Member Platinum Member CigDaze's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
    St. Petersburg, FL
    It's all about the profit margin.
    Lazy unionization and burdonsome liabilities make it a no-brainer sometimes. So what if 10% are returned as warranty claims. They probably cost next to nothing to make.

My Boats:
    Offshore Racing, Classic Magnums
    Toms River NJ
    Look at the bright side, they will include a free fortune cookie with each purchase.
    Last edited by Fast Shafts; 08-09-2003 at 10:45 AM.

phila pa
    when you run it the exhaust smells like noodles

goodyear does the same thing
    the china made tire is $20 cheaper than the goodyear
    us made tire

Charter Member #40 Charter Member
    My Boats:
    Renegade 32
    Cape Coral, FL
    I hear it is Yamaha making their 4 stroke outboard engines.

Charter Member #71 Charter Member DanB's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1993 Cig
    Debary, FL
    Merc motors built in China
    Hondas built in the US

Kinda evens things out. NAFTA damn near made me go bankrupt...thanks again Clinton you a$$hole

VIP Member Platinum Member wwwTOPDJcom's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1992 450hp Senza Spectre 25'
    Vestal/Binghamton NY
    Someone has to stop the exporting of Jobs in this Country!

Platinum Member Platinum Member Steve 1's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Slippery when wet!
    Beautiful Fort Lauderdale
    Bent Klinton and Gore made this place very Business unfriendly during the rule and Years of the rats that aside from the selling of our manufacturing technology to China and the encouragement to American business to build high end Factory's there in the 90's and even a Friggin Half wit has to admit :

The basis for a solid economy is from the Earth up Manufacturing and the World Market we do not do this any more well we sell scrap to Japan.. to continue;

and on top of that he singlehandedly pushed for the MFN status this was a highly desired prize sought by the Chi Coms from their Lackey Bent Bill

Its all coming home to roost now, the only thing we can do is seek out the meager offerings that are still produced here..
    Last edited by Steve 1; 08-10-2003 at 01:58 PM.
    Slippery when wet. "POD" Free Tunnel through Common Sense Engineering

EPA is the reason

Actually, if this story is accurate and Mercury is shipping production of the smaller outboards to China, it might have more to do with the 2006 EPA emissions regulations. Under current EPA regs, all manufacturers of domestic outboards must meet minimum emmissions standards in the same vein that auto manufactures must. In other words, it's okay to produce "dirty" motors if you make enough "clean" ones to balance out your overall production. The problem is apparently that the smaller engines cannot be made "clean", thus, the four-cycles. This rule applies to any foreign manufacturer that wishes to import into the U.S. The problem is that there is apparently no penalty for a foreign corporation that sells outboards in the U.S. (that are clean) if the same company makes engines elsewhere (that are dirty) and sells them elsewhere. But this is not true of a domestic corporation: ALL of its engines, regardless of where they are sold, must meet the EPA standards. It's simply a lack of even-handedness in enforcing the regulations. Bureucrats!!! What did Reagan say? Something like "the best business people are not in government; if they were, buisness would hire them away." 14-H.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast