Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   another fatal boating accident (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/56554-another-fatal-boating-accident.html)

H20 Cowgirl 08-11-2003 07:39 AM

The Lawrence Journal World and the news both don't mention the kids. Although, the kids were taken off the boat fairly quickly after the wreck. The couple that was the first boat on the scene has a slip caddy corner from mine. They said he picked the kids up and took them to the marina. It sounds like one of the kids toes were smashed and the other had a lot of glass in her/him. Wrecks like this don't usually happen at Perry. It pretty much blows everyones mind. I feel bad for everyone involved. :(

Outlawcowgirl 08-11-2003 08:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We saw the houseboat yesterday. It was a very sick feeling to see it. Ron and I had talked to the owner of the houseboat the night it happened around 7 or so. He was pretty smashed when we saw him at the American Legion. He had showed a picture to Ron of his fishing boat that he had run aground the day before because he was out fishing with a buddy and he was drunk then too. I am not sure who's fault the crash was but I do know the owner of the house boat was drunk that night around 7.
It is a very sad thing that happened and my thoughts are with the families of both parties involved.
I have been boating out there for about 5 or 6 years and this is the first time there has been a death due to a boating accident. Very sad indeed.
Here is a pic of the house boat that I took yesterday.

H20 Cowgirl 08-11-2003 12:10 PM

Outlawcowgirl & Banker Ron,

Do you guys know for sure that the guy that owned the houseboat was driving? Just asking because a couple summers ago I drove almost at least a third of the boats that are on Perry Lake. Maybe one of the other people were sober and driving?????

Actually, this doesn't really surprise me, but I've heard so many different stories about this tragedy..it's unbelievable. I feel bad for all parties involved! As far as the lights....hmmm....seems like every boat crash I've heard of that is what gets blamed on first. I do agree that some of the houseboats including mine could use more lighting on them then what is required. I'm do plan on doing something about that on my boat.

Outlawcowgirl 08-11-2003 12:22 PM

I do not know the driver of the runabout. I was just saying that the owner of the houseboat was drunk earlier that evening.
I really wonder if we will ever really find out what exactly happened.
That is too close to home for us Kansans at Lake Perry. And JB, that boat looked way too much like yours and it gave me a sick feeling to think that something like that could happen out there.

Keith 08-11-2003 12:23 PM

Here's a local news video.

And another article here with a little more info.

H20 Cowgirl 08-11-2003 12:23 PM

You wouldn't believe how many phone calls and emails I have received today from people making sure it wasn't my boat.

KCHOTBOAT 08-11-2003 12:25 PM

The correct story should come out in a few days on what happened. It sure looks like the runabout was doing more than 30 or 40 to end up on top of the house boat.

H20 Cowgirl 08-11-2003 12:27 PM

I agree with KCHOTBOAT!

Outlawcowgirl 08-11-2003 12:30 PM

Originally posted by H20 Cowgirl
You wouldn't believe how many phone calls and emails I have received today from people making sure it wasn't my boat.

I bet so girl!
Kelly, you know from the campers, called Ron and I several times to make sure none of us were hurt.

KCHOTBOAT 08-11-2003 12:34 PM

The story is coming up now on the noon ch4 news