Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need info - confused over blowers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/56621-need-info-confused-over-blowers.html)

BillR 08-11-2003 06:29 AM

Need info - confused over blowers

1 Attachment(s)
A freind and I drove a boat over the weekend. He was interested in a Sonic. While there, he nabbed us a ride on a Cigarette - The first ride on a Top Gun for both of us.
As mentioned above, yhe boat was a Cigarette Top Gun, and it had HP500 EFIs with Vortech blowers.

Here is the confusion:
I was expecting a tempermental engine. Most of what I have heard about blowers has not been good.
Those motors idled well (maybe a tad higher rpm than norm), they accelerated and cruised well. All in all, it felt like stock motors with LOTS of power.

Are blowers reliable? Oil temp never got above 165 and water temp stayed around 140- 145. I would think that the motor really isn't working real hard to run, and would actually last LONGER since it isn't being run WOT as much.

Why are blowers deemed unreliable??

Oh, and yes the boat was fast! The tattletail on the GPS said 98. I think the fastest we ran the boat was a little over 80 (or about 4200 rpm?). I didn't really pay attention to the speedo, I was in awe at my first Top Gun ride. It IS true about Cigarettes and their ride!!!
:D

Also, here is a pic of the boat. Anyone know it??

Vyper340 08-11-2003 07:11 AM

More mechanical items to break and sea water cooling never helps...

OldSchool 08-11-2003 08:29 AM

I saw that boat yesterday!! One day (when I grow up:D ) I'll have a Top Gun. Hugh said that the boat goes over freighter wakes pretty good.:D :D

Craig

Turbojack 08-11-2003 08:42 AM

"Why are blowers deemed unreliable?? "

1-They are not as forgiving when one is set up incorrectly. 2- When ever you get more HP out of motor it's life tends to be shorter. When set up right, only way to go.

KAAMA 08-11-2003 08:59 AM

BillR, I think your chances for getting your questions answered in here would be okay, but would probably be better in the Technical Q & A section as I think you might get better responses than in here. :)

dockrocker 08-11-2003 09:03 AM

Like Turbojack said, it's all in the set up. Any motor that's set up poorly is going to be trouble. A motor that's been well thought out is going to be easier to deal with.

Of course, the more power a motor makes, the more stress and strain it's under. Everything is relative, as the saying goes...

SSComp 08-11-2003 10:27 AM

75 hours no problems. Built by Fowler, Dyno'd by Performance Research. Never put a Blower on unless you plan to dyno it.

My HP was limited due to I wanted extra hours and wanted Capitan's call.

Also I chose blowers because of the noise ordinances here. It's no too bad at idle and super quite when Captain's call is on.

Louder than @#$% when running hard.

It's the right combo for me.

HiPerf2000 08-11-2003 10:53 AM

I agree that every blower motor should be dyno'd. This will relieve alot of headaches in the future and ensure a good setup.

Crazyhorse 08-11-2003 11:37 AM

I've got blowers on the Cigarette we bought earlier this year, and though I'm not a blower-motor fan, that's only because a blower can mask engine problems that would be fairly easy to see or hear on a naturally aspirated engine. And by the way, mine idle and perform very well.

birdog 08-11-2003 03:43 PM

Being Blown is good...................
Being blown on a Cigarette is better !!!!!!!:D

Set-up.........Set-up........Set-up........All you need to know