Notices

To Whom It May Concern

Old 08-08-2003, 06:22 PM
powerboat princess

Wink To Whom It May Concern

My name is Gary Nichols and I am the founder of the Gulf Coast Powerboat Association. I DO NOT participate in chat groups on the internet but, my secretary has asked me to respond to some rumors that are floating around about our first offshore race which is being held on August 21st thru the 24th in Orange Beach, Alabama.
First of all I wish to make it clear that I have no political
involvement with the APBA Offshore, APBA or Superboats. I am friends with Michael Allweiss and John Carbonell and have several friends that own raceboats that run in both circuits. The decision we made after meeting with both groups and listening to their presentations was based on several things: Money and costs, and contract concerns that Michael shared with us about the litigation between the parent APBA and APBA Offshore, among other things.
All we are trying to do is put on a special event for our state and community and to promote offshore racing. The local response has been fantastic and thousands of people from all over the country have already booked rooms and will have the opportunity to see our beautiful beaches and enjoy our hospitality with four fun- filled days of events.
As far as the rumor that Michael, Reggie, and John met Tuesday night- that is true and I was involved in making that happen. But to set the record straight- Michael called me on tuesday morning and we discussed future races and the possiblity of bringing the two organizations together for the betterment of offshore racing. I knew that John and Reggie were in Tampa doing the tape over of the Sarasota SBI race and I suggested they swallow their pride and have a meeting which I feel certainly will someday better this sport.
As far as me begging Micahel for boats- that is not true, we already have 36 boats committed to our race and if we only have 36 we will still have a great sucess for our first year. We have raised close to $200,000.00 in 2 months plus another $40,000.00 given by the state to promote the race thru television, radio and major newspapers all over the Southeast. We have over 100 boats entered in our local poker run- Thunder Run, put on by the Mystics of Pleasure, even though the biggest poker run in America in Destin, Fl. is the week end before our race.
So, if you want to come visit you are more than welcome- we would love to have you. You will have a blast. Don't hate us because we chose SBI. We have a good relationship with the APBA and many of their teams.
See ya at the races!

Gary Nichols

Old 08-08-2003, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all for it. I just love watching powerboats race, and it's a heck of a lot more interesting when there are lots of boats in the same class. A good veiwing area makes a heck of a difference too. We were at Marathon for the Apba, and the boats were running just a few dozen yards from where we were sitting.

What is the veiwing area like there in Bama?
Old 08-08-2003, 06:41 PM
powerboat princess

Cool Getting in touch with Gary

Originally posted by catmando
Gary,

I have tried to reach you at home but your phone number is unlisted. You have chosen not to receive emails or PMs through this board. Is there some way to get in touch with you regarding the race/PR?
You can call me at 251- 747-5084 and I WILL get your message to Gary

Old 08-08-2003, 06:43 PM
powerboat princess

Thumbs up Veiwing area

Originally posted by cuda
I'm all for it. I just love watching powerboats race, and it's a heck of a lot more interesting when there are lots of boats in the same class. A good veiwing area makes a heck of a difference too. We were at Marathon for the Apba, and the boats were running just a few dozen yards from where we were sitting.

What is the veiwing area like there in Bama?
Right now the Coast Guard wants it 500 yards from the beach but next week we hope to meet and bring it in closer. Keep in mind this is new to Alabama and they are unsure what to expect.
robin

Old 08-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Gary Nichols is a class act guy. He has put a lot of work into this race for no personal gain. Nelems Marine will be at the Poker Run with at least 2 boats and all of our crew will be at the races as spectators. I am not a politician either, just love Poker Runs and Racing. I can absolutely assure anyone that wants to come down to LA(Lower Alabama) that you will be blown away by the friendliness and hospitality. Any OSO members that come you will find Karen and I at the Live Bait Restaurant and Bar and drinks are on me. I have been told Gary intends to sponsor and promote races here for several years and that has to be good. I have no connection with this other than I want to see our beloved sport grow. So come on down,it will be fun.RobertNelems
Old 08-08-2003, 06:48 PM
Banned

One of my buddies is making noises about going up there for the poker run. If he does, we may tag along. I told him he should race, I know he wants to.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:52 PM
powerboat princess

Default Re: Getting in touch with Gary

Originally posted by robin
You can call me at 251- 747-5084 and I WILL get your message to Gary
you can email Gary at [email protected]

You guys that didn't get paid keep in mind I am writing the checks and they will be given at the awards!

Old 08-08-2003, 07:25 PM
Registered

gary wish we could be there . i hope you get all the racers, no matter who they race with to come to your race that would be great , have a great race jest wish we could be there . robbie
Old 08-08-2003, 07:39 PM
powerboat princess

Smile Thanks

Originally posted by fountain1fan
gary wish we could be there . i hope you get all the racers, no matter who they race with to come to your race that would be great , have a great race jest wish we could be there . robbie
Thanks!

Old 08-09-2003, 08:00 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

I'm bringing this ttt again because the thread title maybe leaves a little to be desired as to what this is is all about and many may miss it. Gary's ideas might get offshore racing back to where it needs to be.He is friends with Reggie,Allwiess, and Carbonell. Semi retired with money and a love of our sport.Don't know of anyone else who could get them all to sit down and talk.As I said before I am not involved other than being a lover of the sport. Gary is not even a customer of mine but Gary might be the guy who can get things on track.Come to the Alabama poker run and race if you can,it will be a fun weekend. If you are commited to Sarasota that is understandable,I just have a gut feeling that better things may be ahead so I want to keep this thread going and keep comments coming.

Last edited by Magicfloat; 08-09-2003 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: To Whom It May Concern

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.