Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How big for offshore but still lakeable (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/57522-how-big-offshore-but-still-lakeable.html)

Caincando1 08-21-2003 02:00 PM

There are two late 80's Checkmate 24 enforcers for sale here in MN. They are a little smaller with less free board than the Convincer. But faster from what I've been told.

What's your price range?

GregP 08-21-2003 02:11 PM

Re: CAN'T FIND EITHER ONE

Originally posted by wowchad
The only Pantera I see is with power almost $70,000, and the only 25' checkmate is on the east coast, not in IL which is a short drive for me.

Where is the 25' your talking about?

I'm really on my way to the bank right now for details on a loan.

Roger is in Illinois about 50 miles S of Chicago. If he doesn't see your post, drop him a PM or e-mail (or PM me and I'll give you his number). I've known Roger for years (I grew up there) and he is a perfectionist with his toys. Just ask him about his 62 Corvette ... perfect.

-Greg

Roger 1 08-21-2003 03:00 PM

Re: CAN'T FIND EITHER ONE

The only Pantera I see is with power almost $70,000, and the only 25' checkmate is on the east coast, not in IL which is a short drive for me.

Where is the 25' your talking about?

I'm really on my way to the bank right now for details on a loan.

My Checkmate is in the classified section under Boats-Checkmate.

It is also in the boats for sale forum. I`ll go bring it to the top for you.

Back4More 08-21-2003 05:41 PM

29 Fountain would be nice

Von Bongo 08-21-2003 05:44 PM

Pantera if you want to run in the rough as well as a lake. 28 trailers easy and runs good in the rough.

chuckbeecher 08-21-2003 06:47 PM

A good number would be 28' to start but that does not include any built-in or bolt on swim platforms! Also real K-planes is a must for when you are running the offshore and it turns from marine to an aviation enviroment( wave launching)!! A.T, Powerplay, Apache and Pantera would be good choices to start with!

Roger 1 08-21-2003 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got em`

Ms PatriYacht 08-21-2003 10:41 PM

Ok, I have resisted butting in cause I am just a "girl"
but I live on a 500 acre lake, and it it is no Lake Cumberland or Dale Hollow, it's a POND. I have seen people have the "one boat mentality" and they are never happy. If you go bigger than you have now in an OS style, when you use it at home you will barely be on plane before you reach the end of the lake. In addition you will probably be pissing your neighbors off because you are to loud, to big, and to fast, let along probably over the speed limit (no place to hide on 500 acres!) Do you honestly think 70 miles plus is safe, possible, and even fun on 500 acres? All the boats suggested are good boats, but if you want to really boat on Lake MI and do poker runs a 25 ft will be limiting, ask 26 Scarab, I believe they had to drop out of the Lake St Clair poker run because of the chop. If there is any way you could keep one of you 21 footers or get something even cheaper for home, you might be able to get an older slightly longer one (28+) for Lake MI, I honestly think you and your neighbors will be happier.

RollWithIt 08-22-2003 03:14 AM

I agree, anything in the 28 to 30 foot range would be perfect. Now you just have to decide which make to choose from out of the numerous good offshore boats out there. Good luck.

ofshore 08-22-2003 07:51 AM

Now how about opinions on efficent hulls so I can afford all the gas I'll be going through.

Any input on hull efficency?

hmm.............offshore boats with efficient hulls.

When you figure that one out let us all know. :)

Length X Width = $$$$urface area

How long a boat did you say you wanted??:D