Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/57576-new-trim-tabs-neccessity-mother-invention.html)

glassdave 08-27-2003 07:55 AM

Originally posted by martiniboat
Glassdave,

What size of Scorpion do you have?

Brian

its a 26 with a pair of stock 260's. thanks for the info you sent me the other day. i am going through the motors this winter and a few other things. i will probably upgrade to a set of your tabs also, those are a very nice alternative to the "other" ones . right now i have a set of single ram bennets. any idea what i would need to do to convert to the double ram set up. do those use the same pump? :D :cool: :cool:

martiniboat 08-27-2003 09:49 AM

I was looking at a 26' Scorpion before I chose the Martini. Both were project boats, the scorpion had twin small blocks and it appeared as though it had a fire in the bilge at one time so I walked away from that one. Solid offshore though.

To be honest, on a 26' boat you really should be using the dual ram setup. To convert all you need is an extra set of Bennett rams. You would then tee them into the existing line. I manufacture a simple vanity/adapter plate that will bolt behind the upper dual ram mounts. This covers your previous single ram holes and cleans things up nicely.

The Victory trim tab system utilizes the existing Bennett pump.

Thanks for now.

Brian Kamrath

glassdave 08-27-2003 10:38 AM

martini- i bought my scorp from the original owner with 400 hours on it. i like the boat alot. great cabin space for a 26 and solid rough water boat. could be a little faster but that will come next year :D :cool:

so you are saying the dual ram and single ram use the same pump. i guess i thought they would have used a larger volome pump for the dual set up. i am asuming the reaction of the tab will be slower with two rams.(than again its not like i hafta do alot of tab trimming anyway, usually just set em an go) either way i know i can benifit from the larger tab surface of yours. wonder if i could retro a merc pump in there. hmmm :cool:

martiniboat 08-27-2003 10:53 AM

You're right, a trim pump would definately wake that system up!

However, if you decide to go with the dual ram setup the Victory tabs will react quicker than the stock Bennetts simply because you're swinging more tab (surface area) beyond the tab to ram mount. (physics-third class lever)

Talk to you later!

Sincerely,
Brian Kamrath

glassdave 08-27-2003 11:54 AM

yep . . thank god i'm an engineer and physicist. although my physics studies deal mostly with time dialation in general relativity with a variation on the Lorentz transform. (macrophysics) :D also play around with unified field theories but hey . . dosent everyone :D :D

. . in plain ol' english, your third class lever is a first class tab :D :D. .

martiniboat 08-27-2003 12:37 PM

LOL!:D :cool:

Brian

OffshoreOnly 08-28-2003 08:29 AM

Please welcome Victory Trim Tabs as Offshoreonly's newest advertiser.

Reindl Powerboats 08-28-2003 08:37 AM

Great idea, glad to see you did the research to make sure it worked.

And they look great.

martiniboat 08-28-2003 08:53 AM

'carp', never heard that one before! LOL

1 Attachment(s)
Catmando- long ago, during the prototype phase I tried welding one solid. Not only was it overkill, it looked like a banana when it was finished. Stainless has a tendency to warp no matter what welding technique is used. I had considered running a bead of urethane between the welds before the paint stage but it still wouldn't look 'perfect'. Thanks for the critique.:cool:

Sincerely,
Brian Kamrath

Note: No offense has been taken in response to this post.:D

26scarab 09-03-2003 08:33 PM

Well ,
I just received my new "Victory" trim tabs. They are sweet ! I'm very impressed with them. The workmanship and welds are very nice, almost overkill. They definitly blow the Bennets away. If your in the market for upgraded tabs and don't want to spend the big bucks for K planes this is the way to go.
The only thing is I had to take the rams apart and cut an inch out of the stop to get them completly out of the water. This could be due to the way my transom and ram installation is. I'm sure not all boats would require this.
Thanks Brian !