Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Shooter Shoot Out Boat Crash >

Shooter Shoot Out Boat Crash

Notices

Shooter Shoot Out Boat Crash

Old 08-24-2003, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We helped load the boat on the trailer. There is absolutely nothing left of the boat. About the only thing left of value were the gauges and some of the hydraulics steering. The back of the boat from behind the driver's seat to almost the outdrive was gone. The left front also had major damage and the motor is at the bottom of the lake. The driver is from Muncie, Indiana. The gps speedo was pinned at 120. I don't know if that was his actual speed at the time of the accident or a result of the accident, but the boat was definitely going over 100 at the time of the accident. It was powered by a 582 ci that I think they said was producing over 1000 hp. The driver is okay. He was complaining of lower back pain, so they keep him over night and made sure he checked out okay. The boat is race insured for $100,000, so that will cover a big portion of the boat.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:59 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow he is one LUCKY SOB. Glad he is ok. Was the course really rough? Looks a liitle rough for a speed trap.

Jon
Old 08-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Registered

What is the deal with the water there?
Old 08-24-2003, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not think the lake was rough at all but the wind was blowing down the course both days and there were comments from the anouncers that some boats were catcing "rollers" or wakes left over from prevous runs. They run the boats in any order. One nice thing is you could have signed up as late as 2pm today and still get to run, so I like the open format but it may make some runs interesting.

This is the first accident in 15 years. Problem is the boats get faster each year and they do let the spectator fleet pretty close. I would hate to see many changes to the format but you never know.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:27 PM
Registered

He crashed right in front of us boat was pretty loose came up a little and hooked to the right then it went wild parts and water every where towed the remains of the boat off you could see him in the water with his arms crossed his helmet was 50 or 100 ft from him. The boat was well over 100mph at least it looked like it why it turned hard right I don't know he is very lucky it was a violent crash. Best of luck to him most of the small cats took it easy the rest of the day.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Registered

Arrow

Originally posted by mpally
It was powered by a 582 ci that I think they said was producing over 1000 hp...
If that is Don London's old boat (good chance), then it had over 1,300HP of Pontiac power.

When it was in Havasu...it was a 130+MPH boat.

Glad everyone is OK.

Last edited by Havasu Hangin; 08-24-2003 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Registered

Default Don't kow anything about this story at all

but by the hotboat post, it looks like the boat was just sold recently to the new owner. He may have had a 100 yrs of cat experience or maybe just two weeks. I'm like the rest - glad he wasn't hurt.

http://forums.hotboat.net/ubb/ultima...c;f=7;t=001102
Old 08-25-2003, 12:48 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't forget about the wreck Friday night late in front of Shooters. It wasn't a pretty sight at all. We saw what was left of that. Those people are VERY lucky. Keep in mind, they didn't have a helmet, safety crew, and immediate response to help their situation. Can't believe no one got seriuosly hurt in that one.

Buck
Old 08-25-2003, 02:53 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts
Question

Does anyone think that the reverb of the water off of the rocks had anything to do with the funky water conditions? I was not there this year, but it looked like it had a part in years past.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:09 PM
Registered

WARPARTY36
Waves reflecting off the nearly verticle shoreline was only giving a light chop. I think the rollers were from wakes of boats approaching the no wake zone, about 2 miles away. A head on view of the accident showed some very slight rollers which were at almost a right angle to the course. These were only a few inches high and very far apart. Accident was probably a combination of the rollers, trim, and prop torque taking it out of control.
Just damn lucky the driver is alive to talk about it.
Gary

Quick Reply: Shooter Shoot Out Boat Crash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.