Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   LOTO Shoot Out Kicked Our Butts !! Good Story *READ* (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/57654-loto-shoot-out-kicked-our-butts-good-story-%2Aread%2A.html)

Helmwurst 08-27-2003 05:41 PM

LOTO will never be a glass racecourse if there is any wind, especially blowing straight down the channel into your face like it was on Saturday & Sunday. I have had waves come over my concrete and steel dock just off the main channel and not a boat in site from the wind. I think more people would run their boats in the Shootout if a couple a things were changed:
1. Insurance, most policies will not pay if you crash. It is classified as a race.
2. There needs to be more recognition to the "other" top guns. Like the guy who runs his boat every weekend up and down the lake (like it was intended), the pro's like Scott, Morgan others (piston power) and the turbine guys.
If you want to see real top guns, sit on the side of the main channel between the 19 and 9mm late in the afternoon on any Saturday and watch the show.

Infomaniac 08-27-2003 08:25 PM

Originally posted by 28Eliminator
Great job Infomaniac, it was nice seeing you run. I think it was just to big of water for that small of a boat.
My friend won his class with a 26 eliminator Daytona, probably due to the HTM crashing. The 26 isn't quite as fast as the 25, but seems to be a lot more stable and I think that is why he was able to go that speed compared to the other smaller fast boats. I'm not sure if you were in the same size class or not. He turned in 120 MPH a couple of times, but the GPS read 122.4 once & 124.6 another time. It turns out that he was hitting the rev limiter but couldn't hear it with the helmet on. If we had known that, we would have put on the 36P, but he was just trying to keep it in a straight line and didn't have time to look at the gauges.
Anyway congrats on the attempt, and I'm glad all is good.
Cord, Nice job as well. If I remember right you hit 106. Sorry I didn't get to meet you guy's, but I meet a lot of other oso members. Maybe next year.
OH and I blew a head gasket on the way back from the Big Dicks trip on Friday. Life goes on!

Thanks for the kind words. We never even made the second run. Do not normally jump the boat out of the water like that and did not want to hurt the drive. The X is so high on that boat the prop comes out easily. Could not hear it with the helmet on either.

I was surpised to see half the field under 100 MPH.

The back seat bottom was in the floor after that partial run. LOL

Even had to thrash at the tech inspection. The kill switch was not even hooked up !! The owner uses it religiously and it did not even work.

Pulled some speaker wire out and connected the kill switch to the MSD trigger wire.

Need to add that one to what we have done to save a boat ride thread.

WRedmann 08-28-2003 08:30 AM

Originally posted by Helmwurst

If you want to see real top guns, sit on the side of the main channel between the 19 and 9mm late in the afternoon on any Saturday and watch the show.

I do that more now than I really want to. :eek:

We need a list of OSO members who ran in the shootout and their speeds. How many have their name in print on the official results page?

JaayTeee 08-28-2003 11:25 AM

We need a list of OSO members who ran in the shootout and their speeds. How many have their name in print on the official results page?
The results are onlakeshootout.com
Everybody that ran is listed.

I was V2F2-2, I ran 81 mph

The other OSOers I saw run were
Kilokat, Gordo, 27mm, JimV, Cord,
Callen, Loanaranger, and Salesmanship.

Forgive me if I forgot anyone else
not already listed on this thread.

I'll let these guys post their #'s they ran :D

For those of you that were listening to
the radio broadcast, Steve sent me some
Big OSO decals, they were on the side of
my boat, I listed OSO as my sponsor,
Due to having the "bucket" on my head
during the runs, I was unable to hear
any radio annoucements listing sponsors,
my wife heard "sponsored by OSO"
mentioned a couple of times.
Anybody else hear that ???

jt

Cord 08-28-2003 12:59 PM

Now, that plants a seed of an idea for next year! :D

BTW-I'm near the top of the list. C1M1-2 I took second place @ 82mph. Sucks that I've already had the boat up to 90mph with a different prop.

28Eliminator 08-28-2003 09:37 PM

Cord, sorry I was wrong. I was hoping it was you.
It was really rough out there and I don't think I would want to run my 28 that fast. The guy that won my class V1P1 ran 98. WOW
I just looked and here is the guy that ran 106 in a firehawk. 3rd place. I've never seen of a firehawk running that good. I just help one of my friends install Hydraulic steering on his firehawk last night. He was at LOTO with us but didn't bring his boat. He was really excited.

Class C1P1 (?)
120.0 6 Greg Olson Greg Olson
115.0 3 David Price David Price
106.0 9 Todd Maschmeier Todd Maschmeier
102.0 2 Gerald D Grogan Gerald D Grogan
97.0 5 Dennis McElhaney Dennis McElhaney
92.0 4 Larry Wiser Larry Wiser
88.0 7 Ron Munson Randy Shipman
0.0 1 Wendell Beaty Willie Homeyerter

Cord 08-29-2003 07:48 AM

There were two guys running firehawks with blowers. I owed one of them a round of drinks, but he was totally blowing me off so I gave up. Last year he was running naturally aspirated, but this year he was sporting a blower. I really don't know how he did. The second fellow was pretty nice. While waiting for our run we got together and chatted. He too rigged his own boat, but felt that the x-dim was way too low. He was an engine builder and had over 1,000 hp in his 'hawk. I got to see him run, but never any posted speeds.

FWK 08-29-2003 08:08 AM

It is to bad they do not list the make and model of the boats in the results also.

JaayTeee 08-29-2003 09:26 AM

It is to bad they do not list the make and model of the boats in the results also.
........I was going to put that in the
"suggestion box".

Suggestion #2 is to mark the radar
guns that are out on that boom,
with something highly visible,
so that you can focus in on them.

p/s, most of the photo's are now
on line at shootout2003.photoreflect.com

Cord 08-29-2003 12:06 PM

Here are the pics of the crash

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...event=05NA0007

The first two frames are of yours truly