Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Wardens only wish they knew what a Top Gun was (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/57680-wardens-only-wish-they-knew-what-top-gun.html)

GO4BROKE 09-07-2003 06:32 AM

Find out what the procedures for testing are, usually SAE, and download them from the website (SAE). Its pretty doubtful they were followed correctly.

GO4BROKE 09-07-2003 06:37 AM

NY uses j2005 and j1970, heres a link:
http://www.sae.org/servlets/SiteSear...h.jsp&qt=j2005
A lot of cops won't even check when you ask what procedure they will use and tell them you will document how they do it. Also advise them you will request a supporting deposition, its more paperwork.

OffshoreGal 09-08-2003 09:34 AM

Winnebago and WDNR

Shari,

K-man and I met you and Bentley in Fish Creek Labor Day when we stopped and talked to you. Hope you remember
We heard you strat up your boat coming off the wall at Surgeon Bay on Sunday and the Harbor Patol boat was right there...they didnt seem to have a problem with your boat!!! Good luck in court and I will be thinking of you!! We gave all the SAE testing standards and Wisconsin Administrative code NR5 to Tri-County Powerboat Association but I am not sure what they are doing to try and talk some sense into any of our legislators about this but we need to find out!!

C-ya

OshkoshThunder 09-08-2003 10:45 AM

Hey guys and gals,

I boat on Winnebago and the Wolf River, and lead the team that runs the Poker Runs up here. SheriTopGun and the rest of you are correct, the harassment is definitely out of hand, and we need to do something to stop it. It has since heated up the last (2) years when the WDNR had budget cuts facing them. Fighting the tickets and clogging the court system is definitely going to help, but it's just a 'band-aid' and will be a temporary fix as the local river police learn how to combat our fight. We need to get to the top and make some noise with our state governments. Just a side note, the group that is harassing the power boaters is the WDNR, and not the Sheriff's department. The WDNR is who we need to target. The way to kill this once in for all is to hire a lobbiest to start by reducing the decibel level to 86 DB (like all the other states around us). That will help. And as Sheri is doing, we need to carry a camera in the boat to take pictures of the out of control wardens, along with documenting every word that is exchanged, such as 'My work is not complete until all of your kind are off of my waterway'. That's right, that was a statement made by a warden to more than one member of our club. Document everything, take pictures, hell, I even have a DB meter in my boat to test load outboards that never get looked at. Then we need to get all of this info in one area to summarize it and get it in the hands of our state reps and above. I have talked to local business on the water and they are getting hurt from the harassment, and are willing to help fund a lobbiest group. How many of you out there would be willing to throw a few dollars in a kitty to hire someone to lobby for this. I believe it may be the only long term solution to the harassment...

SummerObsession 09-08-2003 11:01 AM

I don't boat there. I'm sreally not sure where the hell it is!
But, you can BET YOUR BUTT I will donate for you guys to fight this kind of ignorance and political abuse!

I guarantee if it is not stopped early, it will get worse not only in your location, but eventually nationwide as well! I look at it as an investment in MY boating future, regardless of my location.;)

PM me with the details, or poast the address here.

We all need to spend some time and money to protect what the retirement folks and some cruiser boys want to take away from us!

SheriTopGun 09-08-2003 08:52 PM

Thanks for all the input!! I really appreciate, magic court date is Oct. 9th. Pictures came out crystal clear and answering machine tape is well protected. Any more ideas are more than welcome, stay tuned for the continuing saga.

RonS 09-08-2003 10:05 PM

I'm with you Mark, I'll also donate, I would think Mercury knows a good lobbiyst and would also be willing to donate after the DNR shut down The Fondulac United Way benefit because the race boats were to loud.

MARK BENTLEY 09-09-2003 08:37 AM

I have an idea. How about if the guys and girls that boat in the area have an OSO get-together and put our heads together. You Winnebago people usually have one in February, but that may be too late. I'm willing to donate. I can also get several people from the area. My phone number is (920) 743-7842 or [email protected]

K-MAN 09-09-2003 10:09 AM

SAE Marine niose standards

Here you go folks! :D

SAE J1970

SAE J2005

SAE J34

If read closely all test are to be performed in a controlled
environment. :D

Let see can the DNR afford portable labs? :D :D :D

OshkoshThunder 09-10-2003 10:24 PM

Good News for the Powerboaters!!! One of our members took a ticket all the way to trial and crucified the DNR. Five, yes that's right (5) wardens showed up for the trial. After a few comments made by the wardens and the defendant, the (101 DB) ticket was tossed out. The residing judge (Hart-Key) has been appointed to take care of all DNR problems with the boaters, so you will face her each time. I need to clarify this yet with the laywer, but I spoke with the defendant and he indicated that she was more than slightly miffed with the boys from the swamp. She pretty much indicated that she does not want these type of tickets clogging her court system. The moral of the story - FIGHT THE TICKET and take it to trial. Chalk one up for the powerboaters and hats off to our member that took this to the limit and won!!!