Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Orange Beach results?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/57718-orange-beach-results.html)

Risk Taker 08-25-2003 09:19 AM

Orange Beach results??

Anyone know anything yet?? It takes SO long for SBI to post race results..........

Ron P 08-25-2003 01:30 PM

Wasn't anyone there?

Magicfloat 08-25-2003 02:16 PM

Go to www.superboat.com and click on news. Results are there. It was a fun weekend.

Magicfloat 08-25-2003 02:30 PM

The most exciting racing I've seen in a long time was the battle in Supercat Unlimited between David Woods in Pier 57 and Gary Nichols in Live Bait,identical MTI's. They swapped the lead many times,great racing,the spectators loved it.Pier 57 finally won by a small margin. This was Gary's first race, I expect he will be back.Gary could turn tighter, David had a little more speed on the straights. This was real racing,and enjoyable for all of our crew to watch.

Ron P 08-25-2003 02:56 PM

From the SBI site:

Orange Beach, Alabama, has more than white sand and blue water as of Sunday, August 24, 2003. Its now got an estimated 300,000 new race fans who lined the entire six and a half mile course stern to bow and five boats deep; the beaches, balconies, parks, and every inch of sand. The Fountain – Pier 57 Orange Beach Super Boat Grand Prix is said to be the biggest event to hit the Alabama Gulf Coast since the last hurricane.
There were four classes in the running and four incredible matches that had fans screaming so loud you could hear it above the engines. In Superboat Unlimited veterans David Woods and Art Lilly in the Pier 57 Scism/Fountain found themselves in a do-or-die match with Live Bait another Scism/Fountain with identical power, driven by Billy Moore and throttled by rookie Gary Nichols. Nichols is the owner of the popular Live Bait bar and restaurant in Orange Beach and the man who spearheaded the initiative to bring the race event to Alabama. Lilly claimed Pier 57’s top speed in the straights hit 170mph, and the official average lap speed was 100.59mph over the distance of 77.7 miles. Live Bait’s average lap speed was 100.37 and that 22 hundredths difference gave race fans some thrilling moments. Popeyes, Stan and LyAnn Ware and Roy Barrios, came in third with a breakdown late in the race.

In Superboat class, Hidden Agenda, with rookie John Mahone driving and Chris Carmody on throttles beat rivals Monopoly and Rumor Has It with an average lap speed of 96.36mph. Carmody is the brother of racing legend Jack Carmody who was killed in a tragic racing accident in 2002 and Chris had never raced before the 2003 season. “Our strategy was to take advantage of Skater’s excellent cornering features to make the laps as short as possible,” Mahone stated. “There was a lot of pressure to do our best since our sponsor Legendary Marine is in Alabama and the Florida Panhandle. We did our best for them.”

In Superboat Vee, Bob Oliver’s 40’ Fountain, Firewater, came from dead last to take the checkered flag with an average lap speed of 95.61mph over Rich Troppoli’s 40’ Fountain, Shock Wave, and 41’ Fountain Muscle raced by the Kruglick/Branch team who battled it out for second place with only six tenths miles per hour difference in their speeds. Joe Sgro’s 40’ Fountain Instigator, Reggie Fountain’s 40’ Fountain and Curt Watkin’s 39’ Extreme The Switch had bad mechanical luck and were unable to finish. The Switch rolled in testing on Saturday but was back in action for the race on Sunday.

The match in Super Stock was hot between Gary Ballough’s Sea-Tow and Harry Clack’s ATC/Gulf Coast Offshore.com, but in the end it was Sea-Tow that took the checkered flag, with Bryan Haupt’s Berry Cuda second and ATC third when ATC had mechanical failure and lost the last lap. Oceans 234 and Deep V Cats failed to finish as well. Sea-Tow and ATC are both AMTs and Sea-Tow’s owner/driver, Ballough raced ATC undefeated in 2002 as Aqua Toy Store. “This was the hardest race I ever ran. More than once I wanted to quit,” a thrilled Ballough said.

Divisional winners were: 1 Monopoly 2 It Wasn’t Me 3 Wazzup 4 Ready To Go 5 Pitman Photo

Super Boat International Productions thanks the Orange Beach race committee, the Gulf Coast Powerboat Association, law enforcement, Gary Nichols and the staff of Live Bait the people of Alabama and all the volunteers and fans who made this inaugural event incredible.