Notices

Computer/ virus?

Old 08-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Computer/ virus?

I keep getting unknown host returned mail in my e-mail account? I remember a few guys on here had the same problem what can I do to corect it? I don't have the virus as far as I know I did a scan and it came up clean but I keep getting mail saying returned from host unknown account from people I never sent anything to.

any help??
Old 08-23-2003, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks: This is the fallout from the sobig virus. When you are infected, it grabs email addresses it finds on your computer. It then sends the virus to these adresses, while using other addresses it finds as the sender.

If you get mail error messages which you can't trace to mail you have sent, three things could have happened.

Most likely: Someone has the virus. Virus was sent out to ather address while using you as the sender. Mail error is sent back to you, because the mailhost assumes you sent it.

Less likely: You have the virus.

Also possible: You are receiving spam. Spammers have found out that their mail is being ignored, but people still read those mailhost messages.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:08 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

My subscription to Norton ran out on 8-21-03.
I decided to upgrade on the 2003 package.
Now I have been pulling my hair out ever since trying to get it installed.
It keeps coming up with c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\nisfirst.exe File is missing?
I have tried removing the older version but it still on the the PC.
I finally just went through my 6 th System Restore to finally get my settings back to where they should be.
I wasn't able to access the Internet without disabling the Firewall. Even at that, it got to the point I couldn't access even if I did that...
Any help out there????

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-24-2003, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

75 returned messages today plus this message as well

You might also receive messages from "mailer-daemon" today and over the next few days because someone you know is infected with the "Sobig" worm. The worm infects other computers by sending a copy of itself to all the e-mail addresses it finds on the infected computer. The worm randomly selects one of the e-mail addresses it finds and uses it to forge the sender's address. If the worm on your friend's computer picked your e-mail address as the sender, then you are receiving the "mailer-daemon" messages from the recipient's Internet service provider informing you that the e-mail that you supposedly sent was rejected. If I Am Getting These MAILER-DAEMON Messages, Am I Infected With the Sobig Worm?

Not necessarily. All it means is that your e-mail address was stored somewhere on an infected computer. You must update the virus definition file for your anti-virus software and then run an anti-virus scan of your computer to determine if you are infected with the worm.

For more information, see Protecting Yourself From the SoBig Worm
Old 08-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim, I am running the Norton 2003 Pro version (Win 2K OS). I ran into a sticky situation with it uninstalling previous version. I ended up editing the registry to get rid of previous stuff, then install went without a hitch. I believe the subscription update (2002) is about $15.
To anyone concerned: If you suspect any of the returned email messages, check your "sent" folder to verify you are not infected and sending. If you use Outlook Express or Outlook (Office 2000 or higher), DO NOT use the preview pane. The preview pane can allow infected HTML format email to infect your computer. The preview pane opens the messages even when you are deleting them. You can view any suspect email only in Outlook Express by right clicking it in the inbox list, then open properties, detail button, then view the message source.

Last edited by David; 08-24-2003 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:37 AM
Mike J

Im with WEBTV/MSN and the unit
is not a computer, I received
over 100 messages over the last weekend.
Shutting my Email down till
this is over as I have no way
to clean it up.
TOO OLD if your interested in
my set of 450 trim tabs I will
give you a Email by PM.
Mike J.

Old 08-25-2003, 09:52 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Default David

I went and bought the upgrade NIS 2003. Instead of downloading from the net, I bought the CD.
When running into all sorts of problems trying to install it, I reverted to system restore, then went to Symantec's site and realized just how much trouble I could get into.
When I try to use the Update/Install in Windows, I click on the softwarre name and it tells me I can only use it on Installed items. As far as I know this stuff is installed. When try to re-install the software a message comes up that the version is already on the computer.
After reading some of the other ways of removing the software, I guess I will have to give those a try.
I had a version of System Works 2001 on there that I also tried to remove but, it seem that the newer 2003 NIS is looking for a piece of that software, NISfirsrt.exe and will not run without it.

This stuf drives me crazy!
Why can't they just give you software that will overwrite the previous program???

Old 08-25-2003, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sad part about it is, I bet some 12 year old kid wrote the virus.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:17 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally posted by CAP071
Sad part about it is, I bet some 12 year old kid wrote the virus.
Will we ever see kids get back out on BMX bikes and play in the dirt???

With my daughters, I think I will put a time limit on how much they spend on the PC.
Oh wait, I will have to start with doing that to myself first......