Notices

Question on Shorepower?

Old 08-25-2003, 07:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reckless - I have a whole bunch of bronze smoke 1/4" lexan in smaller pieces if you let me know how big the hatch is I may be able to hook you up.

As for the portable gens- a lot of guys I know use the Honda EU2000 and love them. They are super quiet, light, and will run the AC in most performance boats. They are also completely enclosed in plastic and seem to hold up well. All you do is throw them on the swim platform when you use them.

Here is a good thread on them.

http://www.cbpba.com/forums/showthre...&threadid=1141

Oh, and check www.piedmontplastics.com they have all kinds of good stuff.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Another question,

Can I pug my shorepower into 110 in my garage?? Or do I need 220?? the cord say's it's a 30A 125V??? Is there a adapter for this??
Old 08-26-2003, 04:52 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Also try your local RV Motorhome store. They have tons of adapters etc for the RV industry and I am sure they could find something to make it work.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

EU2000i Honda is a gem.
Small, light, quiet.

You could use a 1350 watt inverter on a 5000 Btu AC while underway, but you'd need to upsize your alternators to 90 or 100 amp units to keep up with the normal accessory load AND the AC (and we are assuming a NORMAL stereo, not a megawatt one).

The Honda would run your boat while at anchor.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go up to the 2000 Honda generator... my buddy uses one and straps it to the swim deck when anchored... fabulous setup... With a 38 baja, I would think you would have room for a genset... I'm not familiar with baja as to if the offer one from factory... if they do, then there is probably a location for it... then you don't have to move the generator around from the cockpit to the swimdeck... just plug the shorepower into it and off you go..... I had checked ebay and they run a bit cheaper there... Northern hydraulics magazine carries them as well. The 2000 will give you a little more power than the 1000 to run ac and other items on board.... I would think the 1000 would trip to easily under load...
Old 08-26-2003, 11:01 PM
Registered

$999 for the 2000 Honda in Northern Hydraulics.....
Old 08-27-2003, 03:03 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Guy's,
This is all just the info I was looking for!! The 38 Special did come with a generator as a option, but just my luck, mine doesn't have one!! Anyone know where to get a good deal on them??

Here's the deal, I would like to run the A/C in the cabin while we are coved out and rafted up to other boat's. (6 hours tops!) If we ever overnighted on the boat we would be back at the marina where I could plug into the Shorepower. So......what's the best, most economical, way to run the A/C???

The thing I have against a generator is, well 1st they are expensive!! 2nd we would be swimming off the back of the boat and I'm worried that the exhaust fumes and noise would be a pain! 3rd I'm worried about carbon-monoxcide poisoning in the cabin!!

I just can't see a take along generator working in this situation, since we would be swimming off the back of the boat.

I know, I want my cake and to eat it too!! The reason for all this is so we can take along our little one (she's almost 10 months now) to the lake and she can "chill out" in the cabin during these hot summer days!! It's going to be over 100* for like the fifth straight day today!!

Additional Batteries and the weight of them wouldn't be a problem since this isn't a speed demon anyway!! But, I'd hate to invest a lot of time and money into more batteries and a big inverter for it not work??

HELP, I'M VERY CONFUSED!!!
maybe it's because I've been up all night working!!!

Last edited by FunHome; 08-27-2003 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:38 AM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Hey Fun, welcome to the baja family, I to have a 38 special (95) The boat won't be the fastest boat out there, but when you get to where you are going the cabin offers tons of comfort. Good luck and if you any questions about the 38 give me a shout.

Also when I used to keep my boat at home I would always plug my shore power into 110v you just need to get the adapter.

Last edited by bajabob38; 08-27-2003 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:37 AM
Registered

My personal observations:
The carry along gen gets old, moving it around. And it's kind of annoying on the swim platform as you pointed out.
You can get a battery setup and inverter to run the AC, IF it's SMALL and HIGH EFFICIENCY. If it uses to many amps, this setup will be more trouble and cost than it's worth.
If you're going to keep the boat a while, buy a new gen. Check out these guys, they have some of the best prices I've found. http://www.mabru.net/
If you're only going to keep it a few years, buy a used or rebuilt.
Check your braker panel before using an adapter and hooking up to a non-30 amp outlet. I've seen several boats where the common (white) wire was hooked to ground. No problem if it's the correct polarity, but if it's not you'll hear a very loud pop.
Gary
Old 08-27-2003, 09:03 AM
Registered

If you want ac when coving and don't want the generator on the swimdeck and I agree with not running off the batteries... then your only recourse is to come up with a genset... I would go that route if you have the room from factory to do this.... This would be a no brainer to me.... No generator to move around, no batteries to drain and it would be quiet, but it's the most expensive.... sounds like a toss between cost and inconvenience... Good luck!!! I'd spend the extra money, which I know isn't always the easiest thing to do....

Quick Reply: Question on Shorepower?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.