Notices

Question on Shorepower?

Old 08-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question on Shorepower?

My "new to me" 1993 38 Special Baja has Shorepower and does not have a Generator.

My question is.... Can I, or is there, a way for me to run my Air-Conditioning off of the Batteries?? Even if I have to install more batteries thats ok with me....

Also, I just found out how much they want for New White Hatches to replace my dark brown ones. Rear are $598.45 each and $370.01 each for the front!!! Ouch!!!

Thanks!
One Poor Baja Owner!!!
Old 08-25-2003, 12:34 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a battery system that will run the ac but it is totally different from what you have now. If you have someone local that does marine ac and gensets he should be familar with it. It will run the ac about 8 hours before recharging.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:35 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 908 Likes on 456 Posts

you may get away with it for a short time if you wired in an inverter to supply the 115v for the AC system......not sure how long that would last though....

As for the hatches....try BoatUS or Weast marine....i'm sure they can order the Bomar hatches cheaper then from the dealer or Mfg can get them to ya for!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-25-2003, 12:37 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Magicfloat
There is a battery system that will run the ac but it is totally different from what you have now. If you have someone local that does marine ac and gensets he should be familar with it. It will run the ac about 8 hours before recharging.
Thanks Robert!!
As for someone local that know's genset's and marine air....Well it is Kansas you know!! Can I do it myself??
Old 08-25-2003, 12:45 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Got a phone # somewhere,may take a day or 2 to find it, I'm at home after a long weekend at Orange Beach
Old 08-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Registered

I know some of the sailboat guys try to run AC units on inverters, usually with poor results. I wouldn't bother with it. Get a small genset.
BTW, it may be a bomar as someone else pointed uot. Cheaper through West marine. Alternatively, if just the plastic is cracked, you may be able to dissassembele and just replace the plastic. I would suggest lexan over plexiglas. You wont have to worry about breaking that. Cost should be around $20.
Gary
Old 08-25-2003, 02:53 PM
Registered

Thanks Guy's!!

Gary, that's kinda what I was thinking....Now I have to find a place to get Lexan.....

Could I just buy a small generator like a Honda Carry on?? Then pipe out the exhaust?? Or do I need to go with what came out factory???
Old 08-25-2003, 03:19 PM
Registered

Check for "Plastics" in your yellow pages. If I dont need a whole sheet, I'll ask what they have for leftover scraps. That's usually very chaep. Just cut the stuff at low speeds with woodworking tools. High speeds will melt plexi.
Forget the carryon gen. They dont survive the pounding very well. I wish there was a cheap alternative but you're best to get a marine unit. BTW, ANY marine genset will work. You'll only need a small (about 4kW) generator to run the 5000BTU unit that came with that boat. Stay away from rebuilt generators. The small units are usually 2 cylinder, 3600rpm, all aluminum motors. The rebuilds NEVER seem to last long. With the addition of a ship/shore selector switch, it can be wired into your existing 110 panel.
Get a BIG can muffler with it or the noise from the exhaust will drive you crazy.
Gary
Old 08-25-2003, 05:04 PM
Registered

Thanks Gary,
Who has the best prices on generators??
Old 08-25-2003, 05:12 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Is there tinted lexan to replace the original? I've got a small crack in mine from where my niece thought she was doing me a favor by pulling my bow line in through the bomar and clamping it shut. Cracked right where the latch is.....

Quick Reply: Question on Shorepower?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.