Dodge Automatic Transmission Question >

Dodge Automatic Transmission Question

Notices

Dodge Automatic Transmission Question

Old 08-26-2003, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dodge Automatic Transmission Question

Trailering "Outlaw" back yesterday started having transmission "funkiness". I've got a 2001 Ram 2500, V-10, auto, 4x4, 4:10 gears, just turned 50,900 miles. At first I thought it was slipping, but now I think it's not dropping back into low (1st) when you come to a stop, it feels more like it's starting out in 2nd gear. Anybody else come across this? The way trucks are made now, it may be some kind of "electronic" problem rather than a mechanical problem. Some kind of sensor screw up or something. Anybody got any ideas before I get screwed over by a repair shop? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:02 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Is your check engine light on? If so, have the dealer check the computer for a fault with the trans. pressure switch. I had this issue with mine last year. Although my 98 is only a half ton, I'd be willing to bet the electronic "little things" inside our tranny's are very similar. I had the exact issue you describe at about 65,000 miles. Came on at LOTO last year. Dealer there re-mapped the computer to get me home (they did not have the parts needed, two small switches inside the tranny, accessable from the tranny pan). Once home a neighbor is a Dodge tranny guy and got me the parts cheap and told me how to fix it. Been fine ever since. Now have about 102,000 miles on it.

Mike

Last edited by Waterfoul; 08-26-2003 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:17 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

is it stuck in 2nd? there is a "limp home" mode in that trans. it gives you like only 2nd to get you home. there have been problems with those. do a seach for tsb's and you will probably find the answer there.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:03 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info guys. The "check engine" light is not on. It is not stuck in 2nd. Once it gets up and moving it shifts into 3rd and 4th just fine. It just does not want to drop down into 1st like it should. I had the trans. flushed, new filter, etc. yesterday and it helped a lot, but it still does not want to drop back into 1st by itself. It does once in a while though. Like maybe out of 5 complete stops, it will shift down to 1st maybe once or twice. If I start out and it's in 2nd, I can drop the shift lever to low and it immediatley drops into low (1st). I have a feeling it's an "electronic something", not a mechanical something. Also, not to sound stupid, but what do you mean by "do a search for tsb's? thanks..
Old 08-27-2003, 05:16 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Your issue sounds like what my 94 Dodge used to do. It went away by itself though. I'd still have the dealer or your mechanic do a computer diagnostic test. Still sounds like a pressure issue to me.

Where are you located???
Old 08-27-2003, 05:38 PM
Registered

Here in Sarasota, Fl.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:36 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Originally posted by Formula Outlaw
Here in Sarasota, Fl.
Duh. Guess I could have looked eh?

Hope your tranny issues get worked out.

Mike
Old 08-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Registered

There is a sensor that goes bad either a speed or tranny sensor. My friends went bad at 15000 mine went bad at 5000 quick fix and is covered under warrenty. Have over 80000 now on my '01 and still is fine.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:21 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Originally posted by eMotiondriver
There is a sensor that goes bad either a speed or tranny sensor. My friends went bad at 15000 mine went bad at 5000 quick fix and is covered under warrenty. Have over 80000 now on my '01 and still is fine.
Exactly!!!!
Old 08-27-2003, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally posted by eMotiondriver
I had the same thing happen at about 37,000 miles with my Dodge 2001 3/4 ton diesel---it was a quick fix, but can't remember how much it was.

Quick Reply: Dodge Automatic Transmission Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.