Notices

Cat Question

Old 08-27-2003, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Cat Question

Newbe here! I just tripped onto your site. Very nice! I'm in the process of looking for a used cat for use in Long Island Sound and a little fresh water lake usage (maybe once a year). Unlike many of the members here, I have a very limited budget of around $30,000 for my new toy. I'm very handy and I don't mind a project.

I see PROROC marine in NJ (proroc.com) has a basket case 1980 30' Cougar Flight w/ 502's (465hp) and #2 speedmasters. I called about it and I was quickly shuffled away from it. I sent them an email requesting more pictures and info, but I haven't heard back from them. Anyone know anything about this boat or its type? Speed?

I've also found a 1993 26' Cougar CAT Offshore w/ twin new Optimax 200's (OB's) on it. Kevlar hull, all new gauges, cables, interior and gellcoat. Sharp boat. I think I can pick it up for $20,000, which looks like a great deal. Doesn't sound as cool as twin 502's, but it needs nothing and it's super efficient. I'm just concerned that the boat is to small for ocean use. I see 2-3 seas on a regular basis and I have no cat experience, but to me a 26' cat sounds marginal for my application. The sponsons look pretty deep for a 26' cat so maybe I'm wrong.

I'm hoping some of you can point me in the right direction. I'd love to have a 38' cat with 800's, but it isn't going to happen on my budget. Also, if anyone knows of other boats that might be of interest to me please let me know! I haven't ruled out 29' - 34' V's either, but everyone has one of those... and maybe there's a reason for that!

TIA,
Scot
Old 08-27-2003, 01:08 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey don't forget to check on insurance FIRST as many small cat owners are finding out its not cheep I'm not trying to scare you a way but jest be aware it could be a fackter.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:09 PM
Registered

Thank you guys. Here is the info on that 26' cat. It was on ebay under item # 2428876258. The seller has agreed to accept $19,750 for boat and trailer. What do you think?

I still haven't heard a peep from the place in NJ. I'd be a little p.o.'d if that was my boat being brokered.

Last edited by SS930; 08-28-2003 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for a used 24 Skater with new or rebuilt outboards. It will run better than you think and be both easy on the wallet and keep its value. With 2-3 foot seas you'll be fine in that boat.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:29 PM
Registered

If your planning on running the ocean, my money is on length!!! I have a 26' vhull and run off Jersey and Maryland and I get beat up.... I don't know the first thing about cats, but I know once your out the inlet, the boat seems to shrink in half when going up against the seas...... I'm trying to move up bigger just for that reason... and more accomodations... If your going out to the ocean... bigger is better!!! Good luck!!! Your in the market at the right time... used boat prices are WAY down!!! I can't believe what boats are going for....
Old 08-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Registered

A 26 cat is NOT the right boat for the ocean. I run a 25 daytona and anything over 4 foot is down right nasty to run through. 3 to 5 foot swells would make a nice launch ramp but the landings could be kinda hairy.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:24 PM
Registered

The Cougar Cat at 26' is a good rough water boat. They are built in England.
Does any one remenber the old old Ballistic boat (I think). They were competitive with the Skaters and the Spectre's & Motions in there day the early days(late 80's-early 90's)

With the 200's it should run 80-85. To go faster you will need some low water pickups to raise the OB's.

For 20g's you won't go wrong if it is like you said and is running GOOD.

Good luck

Last edited by eMotiondriver; 08-27-2003 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Registered

So I'm getting mixed signals about this 26' Cougar. I realize it's not a 40' ocean monster, but will it be okay for the 2'-3' rollers I see in LI sound? This boat looks to have a pretty deep tunnel w/ tall sponsons and no center pod. Won't this give a better ride in the crap compared to the shallow hi speed tunnels?

Have any of you looked at the boat on ebay using the search # I gave above? I'm not trying to justify it in my mind, but for $19,500 I'm not sure how much more boat I'm going to get. I'd love for a couple of you cat guys to take a look at it and give me some feedback.

TIA!
Scot
Old 08-27-2003, 06:35 PM
Registered

Do Not compare the Cougar with an Eliminater, Talon or a American Offsore 25 they all have a center pod not a true tunnel. From what I was told and have seen with I/O setup. That will beat you up bad.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:37 PM
Registered

thers a chris cat in ft lauderdale in the boat trader, 454 with trs drives, graphicsbut needs interior and could use paint

Quick Reply: Cat Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.