Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
1992 Cigarette Cafe Racer Question >

1992 Cigarette Cafe Racer Question

Notices

1992 Cigarette Cafe Racer Question

Old 08-27-2003, 05:00 PM
26 CHECKMATE

Default 1992 Cigarette Cafe Racer Question

I wanted to see what you guys thought of Cafe Racers. I know that Top Guns are Cigarettes most desirable boat but I cant find one that I like and can afford at the same time. I found a 1992 Cafe Racer online w/ new 496's and bravo drives. The motors have 10 hours each on them and it has a new trailer under it. The hull and the interior is supposed to be in excellent shape. What do you guys think this boat is worth and how difficult will it be to sell in a few years(do you think it will hold its value)? Also what kind of speed do you think I can get out of that combination? As always thanks fot your imput.

Old 08-27-2003, 05:20 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

great boats. just like its big brother they are considered a bit on the heavy side but it pays off in big water. i always liked the deck on those. sounds like that one has a nice power package. probably a high 60's boat maybe low 70's with the right props and conditions (just a guess though)
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-27-2003, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like Gary's boat. From what I've seen it appears to be in excellent shape. I think with the new power it would be a pretty great buy.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to go wrong with a Cig. They hold their value as well as anything that floats. Great rough water boat.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:14 PM
26 CHECKMATE

Where is Gary from it might be his?

Old 08-27-2003, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary aka Cigarette1 is in Newport Beach, CA and his boat is very nice...

Last edited by Steamin' Rice; 08-27-2003 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:52 PM
26 CHECKMATE

Thats the one!

Old 08-27-2003, 07:05 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

26C

I got a 1994 Cafe last year in January. Gary is in CA and his boat from talking with him, seeing pictures and knowing when he re-powered looks like the one you are talking about. There is a big difference if those 496's are HO or not you might want to look this up. I think 425HP compared with 380 0r something and I don't even know if this is at the prop it might be at the crank. (Big difference)

Notwithstanding, I love my rig her are some stats on mine;
1994 Cigarette Cafe Racer.
2000 502 Mag MPI's with 2000 Bravo's / 415HP at the prop
Came with 23" 3 Blade Bravo + Props ran 65 in fresh water (Lake Champlain between NY and VT) in April Water temp was 40* then, this set up would hit the rev limiter set at 5050 rpm.
Tried some Spenelli four blades labbed 24" got up to 5000rpm an hit 68 MPH again early in the year 45* water. All those numbers are in fresh water. Salt water I imagine will help a bit.

The boat rated at #9400 dry is definitely on the heavy side for the length compared to newer set ups, but you can't make omelets without breaking eggs. Our lake is 120 miles long North to South and when the wind whips it up you can get 6 to 8 ft stuff out there and they are on a much shorter scope than in the ocean (I had a Fountain for a while I ran both in VT and in Florida, so I have run offshore and know the difference)

You will not be in front of the Fountains or more recent rigs with a Cafe in anything but the ruff stuff but my son sleeps in the cabin in ALL weather (something I was originally a bit shy about until I felt that "Cigarette Ride" people refer too) and cowils here on the board can refer to a ride we took in April in 8 ft waves with my son sleeping on the floor of the cabin in the entrance cushioned by his life vest. The boat flew numerous times and we never got jolted like I had experienced with the other rigs I have had.

It might not be a Gun for impressions and all but it will not cost you the price of a Top Gun also. You might wait a little longer when you decide to to move up but the lower price will open the affordablility to more people.

With stock power that thing will run all day at full throttle and plow thru all weather better than anything else for the price.

The key like with any boat or anything you buy for that matter is for you to buy it right. This is the only transaction you control without any other input (selling you need someone offering) if you do this right and take care of it I doubt you will get hurt.

If you have any specific questions ask away and if your from the North east come up here i will take you for a ride. Those rigs are unique, you'll find out.

Also get a membership to see the pics it will educate you a lot more.

G.L. Harvie
802-734-8284

Last edited by GLH; 08-27-2003 at 07:22 PM.