Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   cobra cats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/57940-cobra-cats.html)

Steve 1 08-28-2003 06:36 PM

One of my lines of Cats was a 33'x10' One piece center console fishing boat out of a Three piece mold I was very Weight and Balance conscious with them a lot of detail in the tooling.

If you can post a running side shot of the Boat there are an number of Cat guys in here Besides me T2x for an example maybe we can spot something..

Speaking out of turn here sounds like you may be dragging a lot of forefoot also on my triple engine military stuff sometimes I used a Mercury Chopper (fits the Yamaha shaft) on the tunnel motor stock props ether side.

Anyway I like Cats and Best of Luck with it.

macvtt 08-29-2003 08:39 AM

Steve: where can I see pics of your boats? What did the chopper do?

Catmando: It is so hard to get to talk to Peter Casini. I have in the past but still have not gotten anywhere.I live in Florida and I know he was in New jersey, now moved to New york.

I have a video of a boat on Boat Test Reports that did 83 mph. I have a home video of the same boat used in the test (that I video taped). I Have a video of the boat sitting in the watter with shots of setback, jackplates ,everything above the water line. I dont have shots of the props. I must be missing something. It seems that anyone that I have talked to that has done anything with the 36 cobra feels the boat is a big mystery

Thanks again guys I will take pics this weekend.

T2x 08-29-2003 09:16 AM

The 36 Cobra....is a stretched 30 ( I'll remain mum on where the bottom came from) ...... It has a tendency to plow....because it has both the forward entry of a smaller boat....the tunnel width of a smaller boat.......and too much constant section on the sponson surfaces. I ran one at the Miami boat show for Speedvison some years ago.....and couldn't get the bow up ....with a crane.

I suggest a DRASTIC shift of C/G aft.........(move everything back batteries, pumps, forward locker contents, helm,.......etc).............But , with all that, the problem may not be fixable.

It is a VERY bad idea to stretch a design in only one direction.

T2x

Johnny Venomous 08-29-2003 09:21 AM

I have 94 30 ft.Cobra Terminator cat. I love the boat. It eats up big water and is very stable and fun to drive. I'm runnin twin carbed 2.5 merc outboards, with offshore mids and CLE gearcases. I,m spinnin the 28 cleavers at 6400 rpm and getting mid 80's on the GPS. I want to try 26's to see if I get more top end. I want to run the motors at 7500 and see what I get for MPH. Overall I love it, and a 36 footer sounds even nicer.

Good luck,
Johnny

macvtt 08-29-2003 02:42 PM

T2x: Did the boat you tested have a aqua fish paint job in blue? I have herd all diff. ideas on where the design came from, What is the real deal? I have herd about hoss props being the correct prop. If it needs more bow lift then I should try a prop designed to do that, What do you think??

Thanks again everyone

hpoffshore 08-29-2003 03:14 PM

traded-in / re-sold a '98 36 Cobra C.C last year w/ trip 300 Mercs,jackplates. It was reported to have run over 100 before all the deck rigging(t-top, riggers, cabin finishing, electronics etc.) were done. Saw mid-eighties mph on sea-trial, but it was apparent that much more driving(learning) time was needed to get the maximum out of it. The console/top may be somewhat at issue, here, too. Currently have a '99 36 Cobra Sportboat w/t-
HP500's/Bravos's, that's running into the 90's very easily.
Hugh

macvtt 08-29-2003 06:18 PM

hpoffshore: What type/size props where on the trip 300s? I have been trying to find one around that runs good to look at.

thanks again

hpoffshore 09-01-2003 11:40 AM

Sorry...I can't really remember what pitch the props were(I see too many of them, and I'm also getting old); but they were Spinelli "over the hub" choppers. Not cleavers.
Hugh

macvtt 09-01-2003 07:21 PM

hpoffshore: thanks for the info, sounds like maybe those chopper type props give the boat some bow lift.

Thanks again guys

jbrauer 09-02-2003 08:57 PM

Originally posted by T2x
The 36 Cobra....is a stretched 30 ( I'll remain mum on where the bottom came from)
Come on T2x you can't leave me hanging like that - After reading all of your posts, knowing your background from this board, and hearing the glowing praise about you from others, I trust your word as much as anyones.

Where did the hull design on my 30' Cobra come from???

Jeff ;)