Old 09-06-2003, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL Tim it is a small world after all..
Old 09-06-2003, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg cornfield creek is behind gibson island as you go into the weekend 6 mph zone behind gibson island it is the creek off to the left. give me a call sometime and we will make plans to hook.

Rob

cell 443 865 8667

home 410 439 4955
Old 09-06-2003, 10:29 PM
Registered

Most cats will porpoise in transition from hydrodynamic to aerodynamic lift.......... and many will benefit from either a wedge in the tunnel or a tunnel tab....
What is a wedge and how and where do you install it???
Old 09-06-2003, 10:44 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Default The Wedge

This is looking from the transom on a 30 ft Shadow. The wedge is centered in the tunnel and tapers down as it comes towards the stern.
Attached Thumbnails cobra cats-webapollo2g1.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-06-2003, 10:46 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally posted by Steve 1
LOL Tim it is a small world after all..

Old 09-06-2003, 10:55 PM
Registered

How far forward would that go?
That looks like adding a strake for air..??
Old 09-07-2003, 07:26 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

It runs about 4 to 5 feet forward of the transom and drops about 1 1/2 to 2 ".

Old 04-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Registered

Default Re: cobra cats

Can anyone give me an update on the Cobra 36? Did this boat hold up well? What kind of seas can it handle?
Thank you.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

MACVTT,

I have a 31' Cobra Center Console that is similar but not as problematic as the 36'. Mine came from the Factory in NJ (2001) and to get it out of the Factory took quite a lot of inside help from friends. Anyway I got very friendly with the guys that worked there and you may try contacting JIM RITCHIE tel #609-709-8387. Him and Scott were mostly responsible for making the triple engine boats run and there always seemed to be a problem with the third engine. The 36' also had major "mold problems" where supposedly the transom was not built square in the corners along with a hook in the tunnel and other issues.

Regarding the HOSS Props, I tried them and like the Bravo I four blades better, they made the boat run and handle better. The other thing I learned is that you have to discount all the speeds you hear about the Center Console versions. My 31' with twin Yamaha 250HP did 72 mph on the GPS without the Arch on the boat. With the Arch installed, the weight and wind resistance knocked the top speed down at least 4 mph.

The other thing you have to be aware of is the CG. Filling the boat with gas completely changes the boats handling characteristics compared to having 1/4 of a tank. With full loads the nose tends to plow as previously mentioned by the Master T2X and your not getting enough air in the tunnel. Again the boat has no low speed qualities because the hull is sitting to low in the water and acting as a V-hull rather than a Cat hull. However, once my boat gets over 45mph and is going in a straight line , it starts handling rough water very well. Forget about turning. going into turns they have a tendency to lean out rather than in and probably can be very dangerous. Thus, is the reason why you can never get Peter Casini on the phone. It is either because he hasn't paid his phone bill or he 's afraid it may be the Prosecutor's office. When he left Jersey several years ago, he had a total of approx 75 pending lawsuits against him.

As mentioned previously, enjoy the boat for what was designed for, Fishing and passing slow V-Bottom Performance Boats. I enjoy the Hell out of mine and then when I want to go fast I hop in my 36' Skater.

Call Jim and Scott, they would be the most qualified to answer any of your questions and they are both great guys.

Also, I have a set of Hoss Props if you are still interested.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Registered

Skaterboy,

Thanks for the info!!!

I have also talked to Jim Richie who is as you said a great guy.
I also was able to get in touch with Peter , but still am in the same place. Our boat from about 62-72mph starts to hop. It doesnt seem to do it like are Spectre as a transition from hydro to aero lift. I think it does it because of the bottom. I have put the strait edge on it and it is not perfect, but it is not off even 1/8in. I think if I could keep the front up it would run really great. We really like the boat and it still cruises all day at 60mph.

Thanks again...

Quick Reply: cobra cats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.