Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What to do?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/58054-what-do.html)

RollWithIt 08-29-2003 06:09 AM

What to do??

Ok, finally got the boat fixed. New belts, impeller, oil change, gimbal bearings and speedo fixed. Of course the speedo is once agian not working. But I got some numbers from a GPS unit. I am hitting 58.6 at WOT with second person on board and approximately 30 gallons of gas. I got a 1988 Baja 240 sport, 454 Mag, 1.50 to 1 Bravo 1 drive with a 23 pitch Mirage prop. The question is, does this sound about right number wise to the more experienced members on the boards. Also, I am planning on modifications over the winter months and am willing to listen to any suggestions on what to do. Right now I am thinking about improving the airflow with a new carb, manifold, heads, exhaust, roller cam, upgraded ignition and air cleaner. Let me know what you think. Blower is not an option at this point.

dockrocker 08-29-2003 06:35 AM

Waterfoul's your man for that boat; not sure how much he's on the board these days, you might want to e-mail or pm him.

KAAMA 08-29-2003 06:55 AM

Rollwithit,

You are in the ball park as far as your speed goes with that length of boat and engine. A hydraulic roller cam would be a plus,----something like a 218*/226*, or a 222*/230* on 110* or 112* lobe seps. I would buy a Weiand "Air-Gap" dual plane intake manifold, 750 Holley carb, and a set of Stainless Marine exhaust manifolds and one piece tailpipes. If you are going to go with different heads, you would do well to get the Merlin OVAL PORT heads and have them cleaned up in the bowl/pocket areas. You would probably see 500hp easy at about 5300-5500rpm. Have fun. :)

RollWithIt 08-30-2003 01:36 AM

Dockrocker and Kaama, thank you for the input. I forgot to list my RPM's, hitting between 4800 to 4900. That is what happens when you go online in the middle of the night when you are supposed to be working. I can't believe I have had over 50 hits and only two responses. Where is the love???? :D :D :D

I will give updates as I get stuff done. The only other question at this time is if it would be worth it to find a 25 pitch prop now or just stay with a 23. I would like to hit 70 mph after the mods.

bouyhunter 08-30-2003 07:11 AM

I had a 25' 1986 baja force with the 330/454 - trs drive.
My speed was about the same as yours, but I was bumping 5050 rpm. Spinning a 21p wheel. Those older Baja's are heavy boats, and then also with the B/W trans for the TRS doesn't help, but sure makes it alot easier around the docks. I don't know much about doing the engine mods, but I'm guessing it's gonna take alot to gain the extra 12mph you're looking for.
Good luck!

KAAMA 08-30-2003 08:32 AM

Roll,

Anytime you ask questions like these it is best to post them in the "Technical Q&A" section and then you will most likely get the response you are looking for. Dennis Moore or Budah are some wise people to ask about mods as well.

I would stick with the prop you have for now and use it for testing your boat with the new power mods you are going with. With that power and length/weight of boat my guess is that you will be roughly in the mid 70's---but then I don't know much about the Baja hull.

RollWithIt 09-02-2003 07:20 PM

Thanks for all of the information. I will use the advice and will check with the Technical Q&A section when it is closer to the time to do the mods. Just got my credit card bill today and it was JUST a bit higher than expected. Gotta love those things.