Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I need some help!  Did I get screwed or is this a simple case of caviot emptur? >

I need some help! Did I get screwed or is this a simple case of caviot emptur?

Notices
View Poll Results: What do I do about this unfortunate circumstance?
Suck it up, caviat empture, let the buyer beware?
64.29%
Ask for his monetary participation because he mis-represented the boat when specifically asked?
7.14%
If he is unwilling to help, drop it and move on?
26.53%
If he is unwilling to help take him to small claims court depending on the cost?
2.04%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

I need some help! Did I get screwed or is this a simple case of caviot emptur?

Old 08-04-2003, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help! Did I get screwed or is this a simple case of caviot emptur?

Well, I brought the boat to a reputable fiberglass technician this evening. Upon his thorough inspection he showed me that in fact we did NOT hit anything to put the hole in the bottom this weekend at the Lake Champlain Mik Run. Infact, the bottom was patched before I bought it. IRONICALLY, today, I get a call from the guy I bought the boat from in 1999 saying he is coming to Lake George this weekend and wants to get together. He asks how the boat is running and I tell him about Saturday and he asks if it is the port sponson because they had patched it once. When they patched it they used paint not gel and I could not really tell until the glass guy showed me what to look for. I guess because it is in a preacarious part of the bottom it is more difficult to see. So here is my dilemna. Do I go back to the seller and request he participate in the repair costs or do I suck it up as I bought it used or do I have to go through all the nonsense of a law suit for mis-representation as his reply constitues a verbal contract with a statute of limitations that lasts 6 years? The hole in the bottom is no big deal. That is part of the sport and I can easily accept it. What really burns my arse is he blatantly LIED when I SPECIFICALLY ASKED if this had occurred! I guess 1999 was not my year. I appreciate your thoughts and input.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:42 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Shane:

Do you still need my guy?

T2x
Old 08-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

its water under the bridge....and it was used...
Old 08-04-2003, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, here it is from a lawyer.......it wont be worth the aggravation or $$. Caveat emptor (the correct spelling) is somewhat controlling here but if you asked and he lied then you may have a legit cause. Truth is it will be better on your state of mind and your wallet to just let it ride.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Registered

I agree with Slingslot.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Registered

Originally posted by T2x
Shane:

Do you still need my guy?

T2x
Rich,

Yes, please. This guy is going to grind it tomorrow and let me know what I am up against as a favor to a mutual friend. Is your buddy willing to do it? I did not hear from you today so I thought maybe he wasn't up for it. If he is, I would love to speak with him. Can you forward his info to me or call me tomorrow? I can call you as soon as I hear in the morning as to what it needs. What is best? I just wanted to have it looked at by someone that knows much more than I and this opportunity came as a favor as the guy said to stop by this evening as he would stay late.

Thanks Rich.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:55 PM
Registered

I think you guys are right. I don't know if I can handle yet another legal battle and the frustration it would cause is probably not even close to worth it!
Old 08-04-2003, 08:57 PM
Registered

Originally posted by catmando
I don'
t know about caviot emptur, or caviat empture, but I stayed at a Motel 6 last night.
LMAO catmando LMAO!
Old 08-04-2003, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

he did admit to it though
Old 08-04-2003, 09:08 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd ask but I wouldn't press it, sitting in his seat after six years I don't know were I would be. And god no lawsuit why make your attorney's boat faster or bigger

Quick Reply: I need some help! Did I get screwed or is this a simple case of caviot emptur?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.