Notices

Cockpit cover leaking

Old 09-04-2003, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cockpit cover leaking

What are you guys using to seal a cockpit cover. Mine leaks in the seams. One of the upholstery guys in the area said to spray it really good with Scotch Guard. Does anyone know of anything better than that.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to West Marine and bought a can of boat cover sealant spray. Can't remember the name, but worked great. Ten dollars well spent.

Another thing to consider ...does the cover touch anything like the top of the bolster seats, etc... I notice that water seeps through wherever it touches vinyl. Therefore, I put a grommet in the center of the cover and lift it up high with a rod. Stops pooling too.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:56 AM
29Fever

What is it made out of? If it's Sunbrella, it will leak. It is not completely waterproof. If you spray it...it will rot. Sunbrella needs to breath.

Old 09-04-2003, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sunbrella recomends 303 fabric protectant. Here is an excerpt from their website:

Re-treating the fabric

As part of the finishing process, Sunbrella fabrics are treated with a fluorocarbon finish, which enhances water repellency. This finish is designed to last for several years, but must be replenished after a thorough cleaning. Based on test results, Glen Raven recommends 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™ as the preferred re-treatment product for Sunbrella fabrics. Fabrics should be retreated after thorough cleaning or after five years of use. Check with your local Sunbrella dealer or distributor for more information.

Applying 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™

303 should be applied to Sunbrella fabrics after each thorough cleaning, which typically removes the original fluorocarbon finish and reduces the fabric's water resistance. After cleaning the fabric, allow it to air dry completely and then apply 303 in a thin, even coat. After allowing the first coat of 303 to air dry, apply a second thin, even coating of 303. Two light coatings are more effective in restoring fabric water resistance than a single heavy coating. The 15-ounce aerosol provides coverage of up to 50 square feet of lightweight fabric.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, that's good stuff. I don't think mine is sunbrella fabric, but I may be upgrading next year.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:41 PM
Mad Hatter

I hate my cockpit cover, it cost me a stereo, thing lets more water in than if I didn't have the dang thing on at all it seems like!

Old 09-04-2003, 04:49 PM

The Stuff to use is called Swan Cote. It is what is used from the factory. Otto
Old 09-04-2003, 05:07 PM
Registered

Sunbrella also has a step up product called "sunbrella plus" which has a water repellent liner. Works well for me.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:13 PM
JON242

Go to a camping store. I bought some stuff in a gallon jug that I sprayed on with a garden sprayer. It was easy and worked great.

Old 09-09-2003, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on the cockpit cover. It took two bottles to cover the top with two coats. I let it dry for a couple days, and then this afternoon I decided to give it a try to see how it works. I took a bucket of water and threw on the cover, I have never seen water move that fast, I bet it did not stay on there more than a couple seconds. Hopefully it will do that good in the rain, but maybe we won't get much more rain since the season is getting short.

Anyway it only rains when I go up to Lake Norman, isn't that right Dock and Vagrant.