Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why you don't see Ford motors in boats... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/58532-why-you-dont-see-ford-motors-boats.html)

dockrocker 09-04-2003 08:27 PM

Why you don't see Ford motors in boats...

1 Attachment(s)
Saw this interesting pic today. On the left is a 32 valve 4.6 Cobra motor, on the right is the old 302 pushrod motor.

Now granted, these are small block motors, but I'm sure the size difference extends to the bigger motors as well. You'd need a mighty big shoehorn to get a pair of Ford V-10's into a 8' beam!

CAP071 09-04-2003 08:36 PM

check your anchor locker :D :p

Thats where the FORD motors are

I had a 5.0 mustang and drove a new cobra all I can say is the new motors in the cobras REV. uP nice and move I'm suprised they aren't used in any marine applications

mopower 09-04-2003 08:46 PM

Moving a Mustang and moving a boat are totally different. Bigger cubes and longer stroke is where the torque is.
OMC used to use Fords. Whoever gave them the best price got the contract. I had a 460 Ford that ran great only problem I ever had was the cheap a$$ Prestolite distributor.Changed to Mallory and solved my probs.

mopower 09-04-2003 10:34 PM

Cat,
Mine wound up a 540 too and you're right. 625hp and 710 ft lb torque in a 21' boat:eek: :D

Iggy 09-05-2003 05:23 AM

When Toyota tried making ski boats they used thier Infinity four cam, four valve engine. Too bad it didn't work out.

RollWithIt 09-05-2003 05:33 AM

I'll stick with a good old fashioned GM pushrod big block. Thank you.

Dave M 09-05-2003 05:58 AM

I had a Ford 302 in a previous boat. Sold it with almost 700 hours on it without any problems. I ran around at 4000 rpms too.

Airpacker 09-05-2003 06:50 AM

The biggest reason why fords aren't in boats is because dollar for dollar you can make more "affordable" horse power with a gm based engine. Price out heads and cranks and you will soon see why.

ofshore 09-05-2003 07:16 AM

Re: Why you don't see Ford motors in boats...

Originally posted by dockrocker
Saw this interesting pic today. On the left is a 32 valve 4.6 Cobra motor, on the right is the old 302 pushrod motor.

Now granted, these are small block motors, but I'm sure the size difference extends to the bigger motors as well. You'd need a mighty big shoehorn to get a pair of Ford V-10's into a 8' beam!

About a week ago i went to ford's romeo engine plant where they assemble those motors. When i walked into the lobby they have a display of one of the motors all polished and chrome, looked awesome if that's how they come in the vehicle. The first thing i thought was a pair of those would look great in my boat. The motors do look huge then i found out their only around 4.6L, they would look great on the docks though.

robyw1 09-05-2003 02:41 PM

Aren't they still being used in some Volvo powered bowriders?

Roby