Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ordered My New Boat - 300x or 2.5 offshore- need advice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/58589-ordered-my-new-boat-300x-2-5-offshore-need-advice.html)

Maximus 09-05-2003 05:51 PM

not making it easy

Great feedback. Keep it coming How about resale? I've heard about the shifting thing. I think I can work through the pre mix hurdle. I'm into as trouble free as possible boating. Don't get me wrong I will be enjoying this boat at the upper ends of the rpm range.

Otis. Wanted to try something different until the 42 Spectre is completed.

maximus

Donzi Corleone 09-05-2003 06:30 PM

300`x dude

otis311 09-05-2003 08:06 PM

Thats right, I remember you posting something about that a few months ago I dont think you can go wrong with either motor. From what I understand the 300x is alot easier on your ears if your only going to keep it for a short time which one would hold their value better and which motor has a better or offers an extended warrenty ??

Bob

Semper Fi 09-05-2003 08:24 PM

Originally posted by T2x
That is not correct....unless some "genius" cuts the wires to the shift interupt switch on the engine.... If set up properly these motors idle and shift like fishing motors.......
T2x

Actually, HavasuCig's not kidding--I was with HavasuCig at DCB when the Mercury rep said that the 2.5's did not like to be shifted while running. HavasuCig did have alot of problems with the 2.5's. The 26' DCB was brand new and the 1st eight (yes 8) times he took it out, he had major problems/ breakdowns. Everyone else I spoke to have have had good luck with the 3.0X's.

I am not an expert (don't claim to be either) but from most people I personally taked to, the 300X's are really reliable. i know of 2 people (HavasuCig and another) that have had alot of problems with the 2.5's

Good luck with whatever power combo you decide.

Cigwillie 09-05-2003 08:35 PM

I'm not too bright...

Can someone explain the term/phrase "Ratcheting dogs" ?

macvtt 09-05-2003 09:27 PM

Maximus:
Sound like you are a good customer of Jay's. I have an 03 30ft Spectre with 300's on it. 20 hours and they seem great. If you want to try the 300s out before you choose which motors, I am in Port Charlotte Fla. feel free to e mail me. [email protected]
One thing...... listen to Jay and get the tunnel tab.

Philip 09-05-2003 11:24 PM

2.5's all the way

30' Spectre? 2.5's.!! They shift very easy, run strong, balance is better then the 300x's. On the 30' Spectre the extra weight of the 300X's might not play as big of a part as on the 28' Skater, but the dependability of the 2.5's over the 300x's will. T2x's motors (2.5's) on his 28' Skater run very well. The 300 promax's were more dependable then the X's but the X's are faster then the 300 promax. IMO.

Philip

apache21 09-06-2003 12:04 AM

Look at the cost of the 2.5s and 300s. Look at the Warranty. Your spectre would be balanced nicely with the 300s. Also check to see what the best deal you can get on the motors.

cuda 09-06-2003 12:06 AM

I'm just glad to hear you're getting something to tide you through. I felt bad with you on the dock as we left for the Labor Day poker run. Check with Frank on how he likes the twin 300's.

Audiofn 09-06-2003 12:55 AM

The 2.5's are good motors. The only prop shaft breaks I have seen are operator error and the shifting I have never seen as a issue. I have seen a few 2.5's that seem to idle high and maybe that is why the break stuff when shifting. I would guess also it depends on the pitch prop you are funning. We had 26's on the race boat. Never had a problem with the engines, lots and lots of hours on them at WOT.

Jon