Notices

Anybody tow with an RV?

Old 09-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody tow with an RV?

I'm selling the LOTO condo. Been going there for several years. Doing some daydreaming while I'm stuck working today. Thinking of doing something different for next season. Considering an RV to tow a boat around to different lakes, poker runs. (could still go to loto occassionally). I also have a bike & jeep to take to different events, which an RV would come in handy for as well. With a satalite hookup, I could work remotely for extended periods of time without burning through vacation days.

Looking to move up in boat size as well, 31-35 cig. I'm guessing a small to mid-sized RV would be more practical than the 40' monster for launching a boat. Assuming it has a diesel, is it practical to tow a decent sized boat (31'-35') with one? Do they have that kind of tow capacity? Has anybody done this? Experiences good or bad? Do you think I'm on drugs? (well don't answer that )
Old 09-06-2003, 11:58 AM
Registered

I have a 36' Foretravel motor home with 350HP pusher diesel. Boat is 26 eliminator. So far this year I have gone 5000+ miles going to differenet lakes.

Advantages are going to different lakes & surroundings. You have to pick where you pull into. Some places I have a hard time moving the package around. When we stopped at Sam's Place in Vegas It took a while to get boat & motorhome on site. Launching boat with MH is only a problem if area does not have enought room to get turned around. I have asked people at camp sites if they would launch boat & most are happy to do it.

When I get a new motor home I will go back to a 36'. As far as a 31-35' boat, I do not know if I could get around to some of the places I go with that long of a boat. The problem is turns & places to stop. State laws have overall lenght limits so you have to watch out for that.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:26 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i see plenty of poeple hauling race cars with RVs at the track. Plenty who haul from very long distances (like 8 hour trips each way every weekend)
Old 09-06-2003, 12:58 PM
Registered

I have a friend that races NHRA and tows his 35-38? foot enclosed trailer with a MH (30). Yes he is probably to long but he gets away with it.
He also has a strange hitch thing , it has a small tire at the tongue of the trailer , supposedly it is to stabablize when hitting bumps , etc.