If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Gold Member Gold Member Turbojack's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2003 Eliminator 30' Daytona
    Houston, TX, USA

Another Galveston Bay Boat Mishap

Boat blows up 9-10 pm in galveston bay after getting fuel, 3 on boat hurt.

boat blows up

speel chekk this fokker! Charter Member puder's Avatar
    My Boats:
    27' Scarab
    Locust Valley, New York
    soudns like they tried to fire it without runngin teh blowers and ignited a ton of as fumes.

not good.
    Pardon me, while I whip this out!

Charter Member #232 Charter Member Audiofn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
    Carlisle, MA USA
    I am going to wire my ignition through my blowers so that I can not start the boat with out the blowers being on. Being a former outboard guy I sometimes forget so I figure this is a good safty measure for me.

There are always a few that seem to go up like this each year.

Last week at the gas dock a guy filled up his boat. Unfortunatly he had put the damn filler through a open hole in his boat. Lucky for him he did not try and start it and noticed what he had done. RETARD. Going to cost him as the bilge pumps kicked on and dumped the gas over board.

Put your best foot forward!

Charter Member Charter Member bowtie's Avatar
    New Jersey
    Wiring the blower through the key switch is a good idea, only thing it will be on whenever the engine is running. Might go through a lot of blowers that way. I would never start an engine without opening the engine hatch, than you can smell for gas fumes and also visually check for leaks. Fume detector's also a good idea.

Platinum Member Platinum Member rainmn's Avatar
    Manahawkin, NJ
    Originally posted by bowtie
    Wiring the blower through the key switch is a good idea, only thing it will be on whenever the engine is running. Might go through a lot of blowers that way.
    No it won't. You can wire it through relays so that the blowers still work on switches, only the starters will be killed if they aren't running. Much like a starter kill relay in a car.

My Boats:
    1990 35' Fountain
    NW USA
    While not a guarantee, having all the "right" marine equipment can give alot of piece of mind.

I had a boat with a leaking fuel tank and didn't realize that I had a bilge with raw fuel in it. I ran the boat quite a while like this, (stupid), just wondering where the smell of gas was coming from. I was living on it at the time or I would have noticed when I pulled the plug after putting it on the trailer.

Lucky for me I had the required marine starter, alternator and distributor. Otherwise the resultant sparks generated in the compartment may have resulted in a different experience.

Many people don't realize the seriousness of why these MARINE items are required and just figure an automotive one will do fine. Please don't.